Do they shed from their hemipenes?

Big D

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male captive bred Furcifer Lateralis from FL Chams. Bought him at about 3 months received 21 Feb 12, so he's about 6 months now.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I handle him about 3 times per month. He gets to free range the tropical plants in the livingroom and I weigh him as well.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him 2-3 superworms every other day, and 5-10 crickets per day depending on the size. Larger crickets 5, smaller crickets 10. I usually put the crickets in mid morning. They are gut loaded with Fluker's: Cricket Quencher and High Calcium dry Cricket food.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I dust the crickets 2 times per week with Rep Cal (no D3).
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I run the fogger an hour 4 times per day and hand mist twice per day. There is almost always some water on a leaf somewhere in the viv. I also drown a superworm now and then to feed him so he gets some extra water. He eats them enthusiastically, even from the tongs.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He has never been tested for parasites. His fecals are solidly formed with brownish green color and a very white urate section.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. He was 18g when I got him and is now 24g. He shares his enclosure peacefully with a White's tree frog.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? He is housed in an Exo-terra 18x18x36 with the standard light fixture and a dome for a basking spot.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? There are 2 5.0 CF reptisun bulbs in the fixture and a dome with a 60w incandescent bulb for basking. The lights come on at 0700 and turn off at 2100.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot is about 87 and the shade near the floor is about 79. I have a fixed thermometer/humidity digital with min/max mounted in the shade, and I have a hand held point and shoot to measure elsewhere. Night temps get down to 65-75 depending on if it's cool enough to open windows.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I hand mist 2-3 times per day and I have a reptifogger that I run on 50% for 1 hour 4 times throughout the day.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? All live plants. Prayer plant, parasol plant, african violet, dendrobium orchid, antherum, venus flytrap, moneywort, pepperomia.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is on top of the dresser in my room, the top of the cage is about 7 feet off the floor. It is a fairly low traffic area.
Location - Where are you geographically located? I'm in Wichita, KS

Current Problem - I noticed a dry, hard white thing "clinging on" his cloaca. It didn't look right. I got hold of it with the tongs, and he slowly walked away. It seemed that some flesh was coming out, and then the thing slipped from the tongs. It went back in his cloaca except for the dried part that was sticking out before. I got hold of it again and he walked away again, this time, about 3/4 inch dried white thing was released and came out. By the time I finished examining him and found a magnifying glass to examine it, the white thing had shriveled up pretty small. I wasn't able to take a picture of it. My question is: Do chams shed from their hemipenes? The flesh that came out the first time appeared that it may have been a hemipene. His last shed was about 10 days ago. Not sure if this is normal... or if it may be a sign of a parasite?

Thanks for your help.

sounds like the white thing that was hanging out then shriveled up once being out sounds like a sperm plug

Monty presented me with a perfect example at the weekend. Of course, I took pics of it! Check out this pic - I expect the white thing you pulled out looked something like this. :D

I proudly present ..... Monty's 'man bogies'!!! :D:D:D

ManBogies.jpg

Back
Top Bottom