Do Superwoms or Mealworms bite?

Escalade

lol I'm a little baby when it comes to bugs they really bug me out (no pun intended). I want to start hand feeding some worms to my cham once in a while so he will gain my trust but it freaks me out when I try to hold a superworm I feel like its going to bite me because its spazzing out in my hand.

I'm not scared of bugs I just get a weird chilling feeling when I touch them haha but if I know they can't bite me it would make me feel better. Its weird though I have no problem holding crickets.

yeah super worms and mealworms can bite. but both have such small cutters that it does not seem to have any effect. have you ever held a tree frog or the grass hopers with the sticky pads? thats what it feels like just in a lighter stickyness. it wont hurt if they do altho its rare that they even try think of them like an earthworm thats spazzing.

I'm not scared of bugs I just get a weird chilling feeling when I touch them haha but if I know they can't bite me it would make me feel better. Its weird though I have no problem holding crickets.

If you can hold a cricket, you can hold a superworm or mealworm. Mealworms are especially unoffensive - and they will not bite you. Supers do wiggle which may creep you out. Their "bite" is unlikey and even if it happens its not going to break your skin - a mild pinch.
I bet you'd have no trouble with silkworms - soft, slow, generally pleasant
Butterworms are also easy - and wont bite you.

Mealworms have tiny pincers and you can't feel any bite. I've fed mealworms as feeders for a long time and I've never been bitten. They are the least offensive feeder to me ;) Superworms can pinch so I would not use them if that scares you. They are really spazzy and scare me a little. They tend to have quite a bit more chitin too and can be difficult for chams to digest. You should only feed supers to adult chams, and if you do you should try one or two out at first and look for normal stool before continuing. That's my 2 cents :)

....I've fed mealworms as feeders for a long time...the least offensive feeder to me ... Superworms can pinch .....They tend to have quite a bit more chitin too and can be difficult for chams to digest. You should only feed supers to adult chams, and if you do you should try one or two out at first and look for normal stool before continuing. That's my 2 cents :)

Typically its mealworms that people are concerned about abundance of chinton, supers less so.
I use both baby supers and baby mealworms for young chameleons, as part of a varied diet. And I offer adult mealworms and supers to adult chams, again as a part of a varied diet. There are no issues.

I've grabbed hundreds of superworms and only been bitten by one once, and it was just a pinch. I think I've been bitten by crickets more than them.

Typically its mealworms that people are concerned about abundance of chinton, supers less so.
I use both baby supers and baby mealworms for young chameleons, as part of a varied diet. And I offer adult mealworms and supers to adult chams, again as a part of a varied diet. There are no issues.

Oh sorry, I must have been told wrong :/

Well got bit by the first mealworm Ive ever picked up and on my first ever hand feeding attempt lol.

Didn't hurt really just felt a little prick, but its itchy. Glad I got it out of the way now I know what to expect. Kinda funny it happened on my first try.

It's particularly icky when they poop/pee and vomit watery-stickyness at the same time while wiggling.

Anything with a mouth can "bite" but in most cases, insects can't do much (if any) harm.

Back
Top Bottom