Do males go through a periodic “Rutting” season?

janjan20

Chameleon Enthusiast
For those of you that have had males that are about a year or over have you noticed this behavior on a regular basis? Kind of like females being receptive every 90 days or so, will males go through the same hormonal cycle? (Not ovulation obviously)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male veiled about 9 month old, in my care 7 mo
  • Handling - Couple times a week
  • Feeding - Silks, roaches, super worms, recently crickets. Every other day. 2-3large silks or 6-8 roaches (small), 2 supers every other week, recently 5-6 crickets. Gutloading with carrots, bug burger, Repashy superload, dandelion leaves, collard greens. (Rotating schedule)
  • Supplements - Dust with every feeding Repashy no D. Dust with D once a month and Vit A drop once a month.
  • Watering - Mist king every 4 hrs during the day for 3 mins. Dripper daily.
  • Fecal Description - Normal brown with light yellow urate. Most recent was watery but I couldn’t find the fecal part. He hasn’t been pooping daily like he normally does, may be due to decrease eating. Last fecal was clear but he did have a history of coccidia.
  • History - first owner, he does have a history of having coccidia that has been 3 fecals clear.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2x2x4 reptibreeze
  • Lighting - Currently outside 24/7, natural sunlight schedule.
  • Temperature - currently cage temps it’s been low to mid 80s during the day and low 70s to high 60s at night.
  • Humidity - Average day time 40s night time average 80-100.
  • Plants - Pothos, umbrella tree
  • Placement - outside in backyard screen enclosure. He gets all the natural outside elements.
  • Location - Florida

Current Problem - Decreased appetite, went 3 days without eating crickets or roaches but will still eat a random silk. Started about a week ago. Still very active.

--------------

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 90
Yea, both my males are very similar... almost to a T. They rarely turn down a silkworm, so I try and give them the biggest one I have for the first time I offer them up. Dex wont touch a roach some days, but will be down 3 or 4 silks. Some days it's only the first one no matter what the 2nd item is (which is why I go with the biggest).

I also find him climbing relentlessly in his cage, top to bottom, side to side. It's the rare time when he uses his whole cage.

A side note, I can usually see his "red rain" as well as the stripes on his eye turrets in his resting coloration.

Mine are pretty similar in age... still juveniles. The difference would be mine are panthers, but I think that isn't a big issue. I like worms as they help with his hydration as well. Just watch the "output" to be sure hes getting enough input ;)

Yea, both my males are very similar... almost to a T. They rarely turn down a silkworm, so I try and give them the biggest one I have for the first time I offer them up. Dex wont touch a roach some days, but will be down 3 or 4 silks. Some days it's only the first one no matter what the 2nd item is (which is why I go with the biggest).

I also find him climbing relentlessly in his cage, top to bottom, side to side. It's the rare time when he uses his whole cage.

A side note, I can usually see his "red rain" as well as the stripes on his eye turrets in his resting coloration.
Unfortunately I only have small silks but he’s taking them. He’s always pretty active normally it’s just the decrease in appetite that was off. I have not noticed color variations but it could be because he is a veiled.

Unfortunately I only have small silks but he’s taking them. He’s always pretty active normally it’s just the decrease in appetite that was off. I have not noticed color variations but it could be because he is a veiled.
It's not so much a color variation so much as it is his pattern being more visible? I'm not sure how that would translate to veileds as mine is a female. Basically, it's like he's displaying his "turned on" PATTERN without changing his colors...

Back
Top Bottom