Do chameleons still change colors after they die?

pssh

Avid Member
My Pygmy, Stubby, seems to have passed away last night, but she has changed colors since I removed her from the encolsure this morning. Is she still alive? She seems pretty dead.

Chameleons will change color after they die because they lose control of their chromatophores. So sorry for your loss. :(

Don't dispose of her body until you are sure. They can start to change color even before they are dead. Its better to make sure though before you let the body go.

Usually when their tongue hangs way out they are indeed gone over the rainbow bridge. So sorry for your loss.

Mist her with warm water to she if she flinches or moves at all.

She never moved when I misted her. She just drank until she was full.

Edit: bocajan- she's had her tongue out before and did not die. She also pulled it back in last night when I was holding her (though she was very sick looking both times.)

No she didn't. She didn't do anything. I was just saying that she never reacted to misting before, so i'm not sure why she would when she is almost dead/already dead.

Okay, well she started to get stripes when I picked her up just now. She hadn't done that before just now. Is that normal after death? And if she's alive should I snap her neck or something?

Edit: just opened her mouth, met with slight resistance. A foul smell iscoming from her mouth/ insides. Tongue is at the roof of the mouth. Coloring is still changing slightly?

Last edited:
You could take her to a vet to have her put down if she is dying a slow death like this.

Very sorry to hear you are having to watch this.

okay, She smells really bad and I'm pretty sure she's dead. I also found this thing on the edge of her mouth wiggling around.

When I read this last week, I wanted to weep. I lost Sir Sedgewick on the 12th -- was a marathon day for work and I found him when I got back in town late. I have no idea what happened, he seemed healthy. When I picked him up he was listless but started to darken. I misted him, righted him up on a branch and his resting colour started coming back. I don't know if he had already passed or in the throes of last heartbeats. He was buried showing resting colors two days later. He never woke back up and the unmistakeable scent of death was present.

My heart goes out to you.

I'm so sorry you lost her. I too watched my dear Lily die in my hands - it's tough. It's also very hard to determine whether or not they have actually 'gone' as their breathing is not obvious at the best of times - it was several hours for us until we were sure that she really was gone. May your girl rest in peace.:(

I'm very sorry for your loss.. I'm sad just thinking about it.. She is in a better place with all the bugs she could want !! Plus I heard chameleon heaven has the best plants around...

Back
Top Bottom