DIY RainDome!!

JonRich

Well i have had this on my cages for about 7 months now. I was a lil reserved about posting b4 because Kevin from AquaZamp has an amazing product and i don't want to take any credit or business away from him. But in light of all the recent postings about "raindomes" . Here is mine.

I give credit where credit is due and Kevin's version is veryyy well made and well worth what he has it MSRPed at. I just needed something a little smaller due to space restrictions with the canopy/lighting hood at the top of this cage.

This one is on a ExoTerra Monsoon system. I'll be getting a AquaZamp system soon for my other cages.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOcoM47gM6g&feature=plcp

Pix:
dome.jpg

dome1.jpg

dome2.jpg

Droplet cluster
raindomedroplets.jpg

One of my females "Sarah" under the dome.
Sarahundertheraindome.jpg

Step 1: I use a 32oz plastic container. I find it to be a bit taller and more vertical surface area. Makes for a condense droplet patch on the screen. You can use whatever you like. The whole idea is just to contain the mist and accumulate it on the screen to form rain like drops.

Step 2: Drill or cut a hole in the middle of the bottom of the container for your nozzle. (you want a snug fit)

Step 3: Fit your misting nozzle and hot glue or silicone in place (allow a few hours to dry)

Step 4: To attach it firmly to the top of your screened cage you'd want to drill small holes around the rim of the container , then use small zip-ties to fix it to the screen top (3-5 will be enough to secure it in place). It just so heppened that this container fit snug under a wooden bar in my canopy so i didn't have to use the zip-tie method to keep it secure.

Step 5: Now it's just a matter of running your tubing from your pump to the nozzle.

Step 6: Make sure to place the "rain dome" over a branch, vine or plant so your Chams have access to it. This will also provide the perfect drinking opportunity for them.

Last edited:
Omfg!!! JR (Your new nickname);)
I love you so much for posting this. I'm going to make this tomorrow. :D:thumbup:

I want to do this but dont have the extra money to buy the aquazamp system. Aside from what you have in the pictures what else do i need? Like what type of pump would be best/cheapest to use?

Nice!

I think i spent $65 bucks shipped for 2 MistKing Rain dome Nozzles LOL.

What was I thinking...They work extremely well and i couldn't be happier, but $65 bucks? hah.

I also use DIY rain domes, but mine are much larger. I'm going to need small ones like this here soon though. I was wondering if it'd get top heavy and tip over with the water pressure..

I'm guessing you have not had any problems like that?

I also use DIY rain domes, but mine are much larger. I'm going to need small ones like this here soon though. I was wondering if it'd get top heavy and tip over with the water pressure..

As I stated in the original post. This one just so happen to fit snug under a wooden canopy. But the dome can be secured to the screen using small zip-ties once you make 3-4 small holes around the rim on the container .

The size is a matter or prefference, I have space limitations on this cage , so I went small. But I'm sure you can go as small or large as you'd like

I want to do this but dont have the extra money to buy the aquazamp system. Aside from what you have in the pictures what else do i need? Like what type of pump would be best/cheapest to use?

What kind of pump do u need to make a setup like this? Would a regular fish tank pump or something work?

This is just a modded feature of a misting system. These systems come with pumps that send pressurized water to a spray nozzle then into/onto the dome to create "rain like" droplets.

For this one I used a ExoTerra Monsoon misting system.

Back
Top Bottom