Difficulty with humidity

ThisNewCham

Hey everyone!

I've had my new Veiled Chameleon for a few days now, and I'm having problems keeping the humidity up. I mist like every hour/hour and a half to keep it up, but it never seems to go past 50. I am going to add in a sac of ice cubes that will drip into a bowl, and I'm debating a mister.

Any help/ideas?

You could use a warm mist humidifier. Probably the easiest solution. Wallmart has them for cheap. I would think Ice cubes would lower the temp. Just a thought

I'd say nevermind the ice cubes.. I don't think that will help with humidity much and a drop of ice water would also be a pretty shocking temperature to the chameleon if he/she were to get struck by one. Look into adding live plants to the cage if you don't have any already, and add more if you do. You could also look into an ultrasonic humidifier. I don't think veileds come from very humid places either so as long as you give the cage a good soaking when do you mist it (and maybe your hygrometer is bad because I generally get at least between 70% and 85% after I've just misted) I wouldn't worry too much.

Hey everyone!

I've had my new Veiled Chameleon for a few days now, and I'm having problems keeping the humidity up. I mist like every hour/hour and a half to keep it up, but it never seems to go past 50. I am going to add in a sac of ice cubes that will drip into a bowl, and I'm debating a mister.

Any help/ideas?

40 - 50% humidity is good enough for veiled chameleon.
Auto Mister is great if you have the dough.
You can always add live plants in the cage to boost the humidity.
Another way is to close 2 sides of the screen cage with a shower curtain

Last edited:
I use the vicks ultrasonic humidifier modified with pvc pipes to spray directly on top of the enclosure.

I agree, try live plants as well. I don't agree with ice cubes either.

Thanks everyone! It's good to know that it's at a good humidity level when I thought it was too low.

Thanks for your help, you're all very helpful!

I noticed you live in Canada. I live in NH which isn't quite as cold as Canada, but still pretty yucky. There is an article in Chameleon Online called "Up North" Caging" that is very good. There is also another one under hints and tips. I tried to link it for you but couldn't. If you want to read it do a google search for Chameleons Online, go under article reference and look for Up North Caging and/or Tips.

Debby

Back
Top Bottom