Did I make a mistake?

daveo

Established Member
I built my own cage and used galvanized steel PVC coated 1/4 inch hardware cloth for my screening. I wanted something heavy duty so that was what I thought would be best. I am seeing here that people are using Vinyl and Aluminum for their screening. Did I choose poorly? I found the information about cage materials before I came upon this forum. Should I rescreen?

Thanks
Dave

(From a bird perspective) galvanized metal has a lot of zinc in it, which can cause toxicity when birds are try to munch on it. I don't know how sensitive chameleons are to zinc though. The galvanizing process leaves a powder coating (that I think contains a lot of zinc) which may be a problem with frequent mistings because the powdered metal bits will be in the water they may drink. If you keep it I would wash it (maybe scrub it?) really well before actually using it just to be safe.

If it's coated, it should be fine. when i was researching some one suggested if used hardware cloth that i get the pvc coated kind.

If I have to I will change the screen. I really don't want to, but I am still in a position to do it if need be. I really want to be sucessful with the Chameleon. They are such fascinating creatures.

Ive used that type of screen before in the past. Is it the big 1" opening pvc coated screen your talking about? If so myself, my old vet and many others have used that screen. If its coated you'll be fine. Hardware cloth without the pvc coating can cause bad foot damage to chams that like climbing the screen thats the primary reason its not recommended.

that was a good question. i wouldnt even have thought about that and i work in construction.

but if its coated yeah it should be fine

I have used a sort of PVC coated mesh to construct chameleon cages in the past, and it worked very well.

The one consideration is the size of the holes. If they are large enough for a cricket to fit through, you won't be able to "free range" your food in the cage. But most chameleon species which are standard in the hobby will learn to eat from your hand and/or from a cup or tray. I find these latter methods of feeding preferable, because you know how much they are eating and you know that the feeder insects are freshly gutloaded.

Your cage sounds great. If you haven't solved it already, you next problem is drainage.

Yeah, I think that screen is good, people like it for hole spacIng too, for their toenails, it's just hard to find. Window screening you can get anywhere, that's why you see it more common (plus the small bug thing)

Yeah you cant feed flies or other small flying insects so it limits your feeding options. I loved that stuff for my outdoor cages. Lets in a lot of uvb since the screen is spaced so large. And its really heavy duty stuff. Cats or other critters cant rip it.

I'm actually researching on DIY cages and I've heard that PVC Coated Hardcloth is really good for chams feet, but the problem is finding 1/4" size. They only sell 1/2". So galvanized is a good way to go or should I buy something different?

so un coated galvanized hardware cloth would be a poor choice?

The main problem with uncoated hardware cloth is that the galvanization process can leave lots of sharp edges on the wire...resulting in cuts on cham feet. I've used hardware cloth in the past, long before you could find any coated types. I would either paint it with that tool handle coating (a vinyl rubbery stuff for the grips), spray it with non-toxic latex kid's furniture paint, or use a wire brush to smooth off as much of the rough surfaces as I could find.

Yeah you cant feed flies or other small flying insects so it limits your feeding options. I loved that stuff for my outdoor cages. Lets in a lot of uvb since the screen is spaced so large. And its really heavy duty stuff. Cats or other critters cant rip it.

Actually, if you really want to keep free ranging insects there is a way to do it in a larger mesh cage. Make a windowscreen cover. Drape, cut and fit, or attach finer gauge screen on the OUTSIDE of the larger mesh to keep insects inside. It is more work to keep clean and can affect visibility, but it works. It's kind of the same idea as putting panels of larger mesh on the inside of a window screen cage for the cham to climb on.

I built my own cage and used galvanized steel PVC coated 1/4 inch hardware cloth for my screening. I wanted something heavy duty so that was what I thought would be best. I am seeing here that people are using Vinyl and Aluminum for their screening. Did I choose poorly? I found the information about cage materials before I came upon this forum. Should I rescreen?

Thanks
Dave

Is this the green PVC coated hardware cloth from Home Depot? If so then the stuff is awesome and you are fine.

Back
Top Bottom