Dehydration

markusl

This seem to be one of the most common chameleon problem. No matter what species. And can sometimes, if not treated very quickly, have very serious results.

In my experience:
First observations: use to be the chameleon just sitting gaping out in the air. And since they sometimes seems to yawn, for other reasons, just like we do. This is very hard to tell the difference. My thought is that if they are uncommonly calm, still and inactive and gaping, trying to reach out to the air, then they are searching for the smallest particles of moist in the air. And want something do drink. If they just yawn while walking or yawn without stretching they are just yawning for some other reason. Ofc this is an uncertain "science". So once one see it one has to pay some extra attention.

Luckily they do not seem to yawn as often as other pets.

Most times they solve this by themselves just by drinking some more. One should give them some extra opportunities to drink every day. For at least a week or two. Dehydration does not come quick in reality (in accurate conditions). It gradually becomes worse and worse. Until one can see the first symptoms. The reason can be poor or insufficient spraying for a couple of weeks. Sometimes the spraying is enough but the animal just wont drink enough.

Second degree symptoms. They start to behave abnormal. Being less active. Not eating. Sitting in the lower shadowier parts of the enclosure. Getting abnormal color patterns. Eyes closed. Doesn't care what is happening around them.

Third degree symptoms. Now they are getting real dizzy and sometimes even start to act a little crazy. Fumbles with it's limbs into the air (sometimes with eyes not even open). Almost falling. Even falling sometimes. Twisting and turning on the ground without balance. Or just laying down with no energy. (in this case a deep water bowl can actually be lethal). Very contrasting colors. Even with parts or bands with almost black. Even if that is not an normal color at all. Sometimes very pale, light, colors. Like it has lost almost all it's energy. (For anyone who have not seen a dead chameleon. They become totally pale, cold and stiff like a lot of animals do.) At this point one can start to see that one of the eyes are not bulging out as much as they use to. In severe cases both eyes can get this symptom. They get like thick, black, circles around their eyes.

Symptoms beyond this point ain't pretty.

Now they are far from being able to recover on their own. And they should get help a long time before.

Little or no reaction what so ever if trying to handle it.
Now it is difficult to guarantee it's survival.

And the earlier you treat it. The quicker it will become healthy and normal again.

Treatment - very early stage:
Spray richly some extra times every day for a week or two. Lower the temperature with some 2-3 degrees (Celsius) until you see it acting more normal again. Keep spraying some extra for a couple of days after recovery for it to stay in balance.

Treatment - if they do not help themselves get better:
You got to force hydrate it with water. Depending on size you got to give it a small drop if it is a small individual. A bigger drop if it is medium sized individual. And a couple of water it is very big individual.

Repeat this process 2-3 times a day until one can see improvement.

Treatment - if the previously things wont improve the health. Or the individual seem to be in a real bad condition:
Force hydration as above. Lower the temperature as above. Also along with the hydration sessions one give it a grain of sugar. Depending on size of course. A small individual one can give 1 grain. A medium sized individual, or in real bad condition, one can give 2 grains of sugar. A big one or in even worse condition one could get 3 grains of sugar.

Tools, hints/tips
Use a harmless metal knife or similar to gently open the mouth of the chameleon. Grab it gentle with thumb and index finger behind it's jaws. Sometimes they just refuse to open up. Then you have to gentle pull in the beard-skin so you can just put in enough of the tool to slowly open up the mouth.
Be sure to get the tool you use on top of the delicate tongue. So that no harm is done. That is very serious for the chameleon. He simply just wont even eat with the slightest sprain.

I use two tea spoons. One for the water and one for the sugar grains.
Be very careful not to give it too much of anything. Since it is dangerous.

Be sure to carefully and precise put the sugar grains into the middle part of the chameleons mouth. So you know for sure that they have been swallowed. Or missed totally. So you know how much you are giving it. It is dangerous to give it too much. This will harm his kidneys and maybe his liver.

Often it is easier to be two people. And be under a rich source of light.

Why I write this right now is because I got a semi severe case as I'm writing, being taken care of. And I just wanna tell everyone that does not know about it. Before they experience it. Because it develops so quick sometimes. And it is difficult to see it early. Last night he had a little abnormal colors and behavior. Sitting a little low in the container. Had not eaten all his food. This is not normal. But this can happen sometimes from time to time. And that is it. The next day they are back to normal with colors, food, drinking and everything. But in this case he got worse in the morning. I lowered his temperature 2-3 degrees (Celsius). And today I had to force feed him 2-3 average size crickets (little less than his normal portions). Force hydrated him 3 times with 2 grains of sugar each time. Because I do not wanna lose him.

He is an 9 months old Furcifer pardalis. Medium sized for it's gender, age and species.

I hope I did it all correct. So that he will survive the night.

I have successfully been recovering several chameleons with this procedure before.

The difficult part is to decide the amounts of water, sugar, food per individual. To actually help it more than harming it.

And my question for everyone else out there successfully helped a dehydrated chameleon: Do you have any other proven methods?

Unfortunately he passed away a couple of days later.

He seemed to be in even worse shape than I first thought.

With all the facts I believe I should have been even more aggressive with my attempts to force feed him.

And start to force feed him with wax worms earlier.

For next case I am going to buy a special syringe with a blunted, gentle, metal probe instead of a long rubber hose. Something looking like this, besides maybe it has to be a little smaller volume for the container part:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_TbHt6j2nSotPITN5Jluo9BgDeAaio8hGOjFEOTOQhjEDN8LhDLsnAvIK

So that I am able to force the food all the way down their little stomach which is right behind the shoulders for the front pair of legs. Without causing any harm to the animal. This way I am 100% certain that I wont be putting any food (or water) in the wrong hole. Down his breathing throat.

The difficult part is to mix the proper food for them to eat. It has to be easy to digest. Giving much re hydration.

I know you can cook it your self almost like baby food. But I dont have any good recipes or ingredients yet.

:)Hello, thanks for adding this info. It may help to also add Fecal Description. I have read that will be your earliest sign of dehydration.
Would trying to feed Horn worms and silk worms early on help more with the hydration? Still on research end but think I read it some where. Sorry you lost the little guy. Good of you to try. Did you take it to a vet? Checked for causes of illness to start with? Hope I don't need any of this anytime in the near future.
:(

So sorry for the loss of your cham!!!!
Should maybe put this info in a easy to locate blog or something similar!!!!
Lots of useful info here!!!

Back
Top Bottom