Dart frogs vs Chameleons

Dendroguy

I know a few people here keep PDF's,so whats the difference in chams,are they easier to take care of,or harder?

I've had two poison dart frogs for 7 years and a Cham for a little over a month. Right now I think the Cham is harder, but I'm not sure if that's just due to the learning curve like I had with the frogs. Once the environment is set, the real concern are the feeders. For the frogs it's basically just fruit flies and some other treats every once in awhile. My frogs have never EVER gone on a hunger strike or got bored of their food! I have read that that is a real possibility with a cham. So, I find myself having superworms, silkworms, dubia, hornworms, butterworms, houseflies, and blue bottle flies! A bit more than the frogs ever needed (or wanted). Much of my time is spent caring for the feeders. So, make sure that is something you can provide AND enjoy.
Deb

If you like insects, the difficulty of the care doesn't matter! Of course the chameleons are amazing too, but if you like insects, it's a bonus!

I think it's a little hard to compare lizards with amphibians, but pygmy chameleons require similar care to PDFs and can even be housed together with enough knowledge, experience, and room.

I had some PDF's before. I think it was a lot easier to take care of them then chams. All I would do is drop a nice load of flightless FF's in there. With my chams I monitor their feedings. I don't like to free range crickets. They love to ruin everything they can. Another thing is most people understand PDF's are a look only pet. Well, a lot of people forget that chams are the same for the most part. People always want to hold chams which isn't always the best. Also, Staring at PDF's won't cause them stress. Watching a cham for too long will stress them. So in my opinion PDF's are easier.

I've been keeping and breeding Dart frogs and Panther chameleons for 7 years or so, and I would have to say that while most chameleons are a little more hardy and forgiving when it comes to husbandry, darts frogs are more user friendly. Darts take up less space, require less attention, and can be left alone for longer periods of time. The only pain in the ass things about darts is culturing flies and building tank lids.

Dart frogs are easier.

Chameleons require a little more daily attention and are less forgiving in my experience. I think the main factor is they drink through their mouth instead of through their skin, so hydration takes a little more effort.

My dart frog vivariums are able to be set up to be way more self-sustaining than any chameleon cage I could dream up. However, I am investing in a MistKing in a day or two and I think that will help equal out the score.

The bonus is if you get baby chameleons, it's free food all around since you're already breeding fruit flies, sow bugs, and bean weevils!

To me they are both pretty easy (all the lights and misting is automated), but then again I am disabled and home pretty much all the time. Fruit Flies are a pain in the butt.
I have several colonies of roaches for the chameleons. (2 Dubia Colonies, 2 Lateralis Colonies, 10 to 20 Fruit Fly Cultures). At the rate I am going I am going to need to start selling off Lateralis Roaches (Turkistan Roaches) cause I have about 1000 Adults and about 10000 babies, in addition I have like 400 egg cases (15 to 30 roaches each) that will hatch of the next few weeks.

I have both. I dont find either particularily difficult. So long as you are willing to put in the necessary research, the time, effort and cash for proper feeding and housing and vet attention as needed etc. you should not have difficulties.

I picked Blue Azureus because they are diurnal and pretty bold. Some species are very shy and you won't see them as much.

I currently have both... I've had darts for about 6 years. I had a veiled a few years back and now have 3 panthers. Still consider myself very inexperienced w chams and fairly experienced w darts. I say the research/setup is the most time or energy you'll spend on either. But once setup I would say the chams are a bit more time consuming, and that's not a bad thing... it just is what it is. I tell people that if you can culture fruit flies and always have a backup in case of a crash then they're the easiest pet that I've ever kept... I currently have Leucs and lamasi.... both great for starters. But I also suggest auratus, and azureus ...

Back
Top Bottom