Dart frogs are complicated!

ferretinmyshoes

Veterinarian
Staff member
And I thought chameleons were bad...they seem easy to get set up compared to darts! I've been spending a lot of time on dendroboard lately just drooling over some of the awesome vivs people make for their frogs! I love the all natural look!! Some of them literally look like they just picked up a microcosm in the middle of the rainforest and brought it home. It's something I've always loved when I saw them and I didn't realize how simple it would be to make something like that. Great stuff and silicone does wonderous things apparently, but then there's having circulation but not too much because it drops humidity and special plant lights, and special containers for certain frogs to hide in and just the right proportion of water and humidity to not let it mold...Setting it up is a ton of work and it's only scraping the surface it seems.

I'm totally hooked on the idea and will have a perfect tank opening up soon to play with so I at least want to make an awesome background for a more natural pyg tank if nothing else. I might not be able to grow all the cool mosses and stuff in a pyg tank but one day I want an awesome dart frog tank too! That would be the coolest thing to have on my desk at work! Does anyone here keep darts also? I want to see some more awesome vivs to aspire to!

gerhartrx keeps them, I want them too! I have spoke to gethartrx about them. They are awesome and I have spent quite sometime researching them as well. The tank set ups are awesome!

some set ups are A M A Z I N G!! i envy some of the set ups i see.

some pics of mine. they aren't anything special. pretty much just basic set ups.

i havent taken a picture of this set up in a few months. the plants are much much bigger now. the little plant on the front left is to the top of the tank now :)

That setup is so RAD!

Love it. I'm still deciding how im gonna do my free range setup in my room with two 7 foot tall fakies. or real. still debating.

You are so right ferretinmyshoes, some can be very complicated. I've been researching them a lot lately as well. Going to take the plunge next month. We shall see how it goes. ataraxia your setups look great, love the bamboo one!

Thoughs in my head have been running around so much thinking bout doing an all natural viv and eventually adding dart frogs. There are such nice ones out there and it's definitely a work of art in it's own right. Just the thought of having my own is such a tease but it's one thing I would want to go as over the top with and do it right! I consider myself hooked on the thought as well and very much love and over appreciate the allnnatural look!

i had dendrobates for about 10 years, i really didn't find it all too difficult, i think a lot of the effort people put in there tanks is personal preference and all for looks *but who doesn't want a tank that looks good*... i knew people that bred theirs and kept them in pretty big sterilite storage containers with pretty basic setups.

The set-up can be a pain but once you have your setup together there isn't much you need to do to keep them happy.

The hardest things to me is to remember to set-up my new fruit fly cultures every couple days watching for mold and Misting (which is easy if you have a Mist King or equivalent) .

Other than that they are fairly easy.

i had dendrobates for about 10 years, i really didn't find it all too difficult, i think a lot of the effort people put in there tanks is personal preference and all for looks *but who doesn't want a tank that looks good*... i knew people that bred theirs and kept them in pretty big sterilite storage containers with pretty basic setups.

Its true, They dont need fancy exotic looking enclosures to thrive. But good looking enclosures is half the fun! Im only just getting started myself - enjoying it much!
full
full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I bred auratus, leucs, tincs, and tricolors- none of these were very compicated at all. The secret is pretty simple- limit ventilation so you have a light haze on the glass of the vivarium and keep the frogs stuffed with food.
The most difficult part for me was keeping the durned fruit flies going long term.

That is encouraging...Yep I'm totally going to do it! There's a big show in Houston in a few weeks so I can stock up on cool plants and supplies! My husband's going to kill me! :D

When and where is this new show?!?!?!? I just purchased 3 frogs yesterday and even though I have the basic for them to be comfortable I wanna go and make it as natural as possible....

I got me 2 Bumblebees and 1 Azerus... Want to get more Azerus and plants and live moss...

East Texas
Herpetological Society
21st Annual Conference,
Breeder Expo &
Educational Exhibit

Sept. 30-Oct 2, 2011
Brookhollow Crowne Plaza
12801 Northwest Freeway
Houston, Texas

Back
Top Bottom