daddy long leg spiders

opihiman

How does the forum feel about daddy long leg spiders as a occ food source for jacksons.. just curious as there asre quite a few around my place....

OPI

How does the forum feel about daddy long leg spiders as a occ food source for jacksons.. just curious as there asre quite a few around my place....

OPI

I don't know about daddy long legs but I do occasionally see my jacksons eat daddy long legs, especially the juvi's.

I don't know if this is a myth or not... But I have heard that the Daddy long legs has one of the most potent venoms in spiders and that it is just not harmful to us because they are too small to penetrate our skin. Maybe a bug expert can chime in.:confused:

As chat pointed out, Mythbusters did a thing on them and the insect in unable to penetrate our skin. However they do have some of the most potent poison around. I have no clue about if they are harmful to our chams.

With things like this I normally over the years ask myself "are there poisonous spiders in the natural habitat? If so chams tend to eat anything that fits." However non native food items could pose a problem. Are there daddy long legs in the animals natural habitat?

I'd ask a bug guy if I were you, personally I don't feed spiders to my chams.

How much nutrition could a Daddy Long Legs Carry anyway? I would think very minimal, compared to other easier and more traditional feeders.
EDIT: Well if they are at hand in your place, and it is safe, why not throw one in when you find it... I just realized your probly not trying to raise a colony of spiders.

How much nutrition could a Daddy Long Legs Carry anyway? I would think very minimal, compared to other easier and more traditional feeders.

Well I was thinking, since Vit A is one of those things that you get from things that eat blood, maybe this is one of those times that variability of diet would help to cover.....

what do you all think?

OPI
:eek:

daddy long legs spiders, which live in attics and such, can bite people, but it's a minor bite - not near a bee sting.

The things we call daddy long legs, or harvestmen, are much bigger, with round bodies - they're not spiders, they're olipodae (sp?).

Neither of which has potent venom at all.

On mythbusters, they used the spiders - and they WERE able to bite people, just not with any real consequences.

Almost Eric!:D Harvestmen belong to the order of Opiliones.
They are not spiders but may be more closely related to mites or Solifugae.
They have no poison glands or silk glands, but some can produce an odor.
I would not collect them for feeding chameleons, but if my chameleon happened to eat one or more, I wouldn't worry.

-Brad

Brad

I understand you wouldn't actively go out and capture some.
But,what do think of them as an occ source of vit A?:D

OPI

As chat pointed out, Mythbusters did a thing on them and the insect in unable to penetrate our skin. However they do have some of the most potent poison around. I have no clue about if they are harmful to our chams.

With things like this I normally over the years ask myself "are there poisonous spiders in the natural habitat? If so chams tend to eat anything that fits." However non native food items could pose a problem. Are there daddy long legs in the animals natural habitat?

I'd ask a bug guy if I were you, personally I don't feed spiders to my chams.

they have no posion whatsoever.... they just have an awful smelly gland that they use when attacked

Opiliones= smelly chams

Back
Top Bottom