Cup feeding the Melleri

Aminah Undone

The first few days, I was hand feeding in an attempt to gain some kind of awareness that I am the source of food.. or good things. We had a slight set back, however, so I resorted to cup feeding the big "guy". First, I hung the cup and walked away. That didn't have great results.

Now, I'm holding the cup and turning my gaze away from him and this works. I'm just concerned with the amount of force I feel when he shoots the bug. Is it possible for him to injure his tongue, if the cup is too close? I'm holding the cup about 10 inches away, initially, but he leans over and down toward the cup.. within 6 inches or so ..and then shoots. It's almost like he's slamming his tongue into the bottom of the cup. It seems like it might hurt. Maybe?

I'm just concerned. How far do you hold the bug away from your sub-adult and adult Melleri? This baby is about 9" or 10" SVL.

I dont use cups for my Melleri, I use buckets lol.

I just hang it in the cage a few inches from the basking stick. When they start eating from it (and they will when they really want food lol) I move it lower. I actually move it every couple months to keep them guessing and moving.

Honstley I havent had tongue injury problems but if your conserned you can replace the bottom of the cup with screen.

depends i saw a video from scremeleons that said you should never use a clear cup or see through cause the chams will try and shoot through it if you cup feed it should be like the white ones on the inside.

Thanks! I use a pretty big cup, but I may try putting some screen on the bottom. I'll try a bucket once I'm sure he's comfortable enough to move out of the enclosure and into his free range. I'm leaving the door open already, but he hasn't ventured out on his own yet.

I dont use cups for my Melleri, I use buckets lol.

I just hang it in the cage a few inches from the basking stick. When they start eating from it (and they will when they really want food lol) I move it lower. I actually move it every couple months to keep them guessing and moving.

Honstley I havent had tongue injury problems but if your conserned you can replace the bottom of the cup with screen.

Or, like leaf-tailed gecko keepers do, wedge a piece of sponge in the bottom as a cushion. Or if you hang the feeder container on plant branches by wire it will give when they hit it.

Thanks for these ideas! I'm glad it's not just me concerned about this.

I felt bad when he was eating this morning. I really felt the impact when he shot the bugs and I know there's, at least, cartilage in their tongue. It just seemed like it would be similar to jamming a finger in volleyball or basketball. Ouch!

All of my adult and sub-adult melleri's eat from buckets and I've never had any that have injured themselves. I think they instictively know to add more pressure of back off. I've had a few that were ever so gentle all the time, too. My feeling is, they do it that hard in the wild, too, so don't fix what isn't broken (so to speak).

This would be a good question for Chris Anderson. He did a big project on the chameleon's tongue (which was quite impressive by the way...).

Out of curiousity, have you ever tried letting your cham take a worm or other food off of your hand? You will find out just how hard it is and I promise it won't hurt you. ;)

The first couple days, I hand fed him. It was awesome!! Then I did the unthinkable and moved him outside for some natural sunshine and he had a little set back with his comfort zone and me. :eek:

We're getting back to a comfortable place, but he's not ready for my hand yet. I think he'll be more accepting once he decides to venture into his free range. I don't know. Just seems that way.

Back
Top Bottom