Croton plants poisonous????!!???

RobandJess

We have read posts here that state they are poisonous and posts that say they are not and ok to use. Please let us know, we have one in our enclosure...thanks!

If you look on FL chameleons (one of the sponsors) site, there should be a safe plant list there, take a look at that to see the safe plants to use in enclosures, i took a quick look and didnt see that on the list. If there is even a doubt that it may be poisonous i would take it out just to be safe until you get some more info.

I'm always willing to accept the dunce hat...

I don't know what a CROTON plant is and often names vary by location so maybe you could post a picture of the plant that is causing you concern?

@ Elizadolots..below is a picture of the croton plant, it is also called Codiaeum variegatum. i love them, they are cheap, easy to take care of and very colorful. Our cham seems to love it too...I read some more and am pretty sure they are safe, they are just not included in the safe plant lists for some reason.

Attachments

• Croton1.jpg
    Croton1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 4,251
safe, at the plate...

Crotons are safe. In many countries the leaves are eaten as a vegetable.

The search funtion here is very useful: search for croton and you will find the question has been asked and answered. If one searches a database one won't find any poisoning cases in the veterinary literature.

Search in the science board on this site for my post titled "bookshelf", and you can see what references I use.

Thank you Dgray. I did search the forum but found blogs that stated they are safe and a couple of blogs that stated they are toxic, just wanted to double check. thanks for the info!

Just do a google search and you will see that it is poisonous, at least to mammals. I think there is not a definitive answer yet so I would be careful.

not

Just do a google search and you will see that it is poisonous, at least to mammals. I think there is not a definitive answer yet so I would be careful.

JUST. PLAIN. FALSE.

Find a citation of a case of poisoning, or retract. _ Codiaeum variegatum_ is only known to cause a contact dermatitis (a rash) in a small sub-set of individuals who are reactive.

Some people are reactive to Fava beans too. Does not make them poisonous.

Reactions: Syn
degree of reliability is uknown

Yeah, that's what I found (thanks for the picture, btw, RobandJess). The sap is considered a skin irritant and digesting it can cause nausea and vomiting.

From the site your linked to: "The information concerning edibility is taken from the literature, and the degree of reliability is unknown. " In short, they have not cited their references, and their data is unreliable.

There is in several references, confusion with the related species _Codiaeum tiglium_ which definitely has human and mammal health risks. This species is not common in the U.S., not even in tropical areas such as Hawaii, and Florida. The plant does not resemble C. variegatum, and is not used an an ornamental plant. This plant does result in livestock poisonings in tropical regions, but they usually only amount to upset stomachs, and do not require treatment.

Again, _C. variegatum_ is used as a vegetable. Yellow-leaved forms are best; its not toxic, I've eaten them many times. Don't worry about it, as long as you've washed the leaves thoroughly.

Last edited:
Yeah, but there is a "safe rather than sorry" aspect to this, is there not?

Also, I sort of wonder if different variants of the plant provoke different reactions. The reactions I read about all seemed to be allergic reactions and obviously there's a ton of variability on that. The plant itself is highly variable and allergic reactions are completely variable.

There are lots of foods that some people eat that others are allergic too. I can eat peanuts...but they'd kill some people.

So, I appreciate the skepticism of the data, but I also can see how people would choose to err on the side of caution.

safe = no plants

Yeah, but there is a "safe rather than sorry" aspect to this, is there not?

Also, I sort of wonder if different variants of the plant provoke different reactions. The reactions I read about all seemed to be allergic reactions and obviously there's a ton of variability on that. The plant itself is highly variable and allergic reactions are completely variable.

There are lots of foods that some people eat that others are allergic too. I can eat peanuts...but they'd kill some people.

So, I appreciate the skepticism of the data, but I also can see how people would choose to err on the side of caution.

Right. Thanks indeed, for that. Safety requires an empty cage.

Last edited:
I will leave them in my enclosure, Bob seems to like them, they have been there for about a month now and had no problems. He likes eating them too once in a while. Thanks for all your help.

I have been using crotons in cham enclosures for the past 4 years, mainly veileds. Everything to neos-adults-wc's you name it. THEY ARE 100% SAFE. The internet is full of BS sometimes so you must be very careful about what your reading, then were you regurgitate the trash into. Just because its not on FLChams plant list or the ASPCA list doesnt make toxic, harmful or whatever.

Last edited:
I know of a person who feeds hornworms straight from their garden and has been doing so every summer for years. Yet the natural diet of HWs is stated as toxic. I really wonder if plants or some plants known to be toxic to humans do not have the same effect on lizards or some lizards. I dont think there is a hand book for chameleons in the wild that tells them what insect eats what plants:rolleyes: The person I am referring to has an adult veiled around 7 years old which gets the WC HWs every year.

Back
Top Bottom