Crocheted Chameleon

Elizadolots

I mentioned in another post that I do free form crochet. Today I finished a project I'm going to enter in the County Fair next year. My crocheted chameleon.
crochetchameleon.jpg

It's funny, I resized that picture because it seemed like it would be too big. Let me try it at the size it came out of the camera...

Well, that's a bit better....

Ah, the curses of an ancient camera...at the time, those were considered super high resolution files!

Those stuffed chameleons are great. I love when reptiles are made into soft plush....that and sea creatures! Who needs a stuffed bunny when I can have a stuffed chameleon or stuffed manta ray?

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 200
Wow, that is great! Right click and open the image in another tab or window - this needs to be viewed at full resolution to see all of the effort put into this.

Great work, Eliza.

Thank you.

I usually crochet fantasy reptiles that can't be deemed "wrong" or things so small that people are just too amazed that I did it to say "that pattern is wrong". This is close to real size so and it's a real animal so there was a lot of pressure. My family has done a great job of pointing out the problems with it as has gone along.

Well let us point out everything that kicks ass about it!

I like the way the leaves are varied in hue.

It almost looks like he spies a tasty treat down below him.

Great job on the pot!!! It looks sooooo real. :)

Well..the pot IS real!!! That would be the explanation for that. The pot, the wooden stick and the nails in the wooden stick are all "real"...the rest is crochet.

Thank you for saying you like the varied leaves. I debated that. From a "realistic plant" look, there really should not be that much variance. There's some, but not this much. However, it's art, you know....and artistically, I felt it needed the variance in colors.

He's actually got one eye pointed at a cricket above him...

The eyes can be repositioned, but I think they are where they need to be now.

I might need to do some close ups, huh?

The next one should be a colofully fired up panther, have his mouth open hissing perhaps. hehe, you might even be able to market it as a way to make the chams people own fire up

Thank you all!

I'll try to do close ups tomorrow. I need to play with my camera, I know there's a way to do a bigger file.

I don't sell them, by the way.

My next project is going to be aimed at the "stuffed animals" category. It costs $6 to enter a project, but they give you 2 tickets worth $13 for each category you enter. I need 4 tickets, so I need to enter 2 categories. There are small money prizes for winning, so the goal is to do that fair for free or a profit. (It's a minor goal but it gives me something to shoot for every year)

This will be in "crochet, other"...I own that category, having won it 3 years in a row. I expect this to win but I sort of hope it will also get "best in division" and maybe even "best in show"...the money is nice (the year I took best in show I got $165) but the big thrill for me is the gigantic ribbon! Nothing beats a 6 inch gold ribbon for making you feel loved.

So, I've started a triceratops. Everybody loves a dinosaur, right?

I like the idea of a panther though...I might consider that for the next project. I learned a whole lot doing that Jackson's. I might be able to pull off a panther now...and it would be fun to work in those vibrant colors.

Back
Top Bottom