Cricket keeper question?

Avallone

what is the best way to keep crickets in the cage without them hiding in the plants within the cage. I currently use the milk carton method but somehow crickets seem to hop out little by little. It is hard for me to make sure all crickets are out of cage while he is sleeping because I have a massive amount of vines,leaves, and a POTHOS plant inside... Any ideas? I don't want my little guy to get bit:( Thanks for everything

If the crickets are small, then don't worry about biting - it's only really a problem with adult crickets. You could try just using a different milk carton, cut so the crickets have more trouble escaping, but one or two getting out is not a big problem, they will get caught pretty quickly unless you are really overfeeding.

if you havent tried cup feeding perhaps that would be an option. i know when i tried something very similar to the milk jug feeder my crix would just climb up and kinda.. jump out..

tong feeding for my cham works but it can take awhile sometimes, but if your cham will cup feed you should be good to go.

I recently made a cup feeder from a simple plastic soda cup from Starbucks. Their cups have a good grade of plastic and shape nicely into a deeper feeder that keeps crickets inside. I cut a U-shape out from the top, and lined the 'sharp' plastic edges with a little scotch tape. Then used 3M 'bandage' tape on the inside of the cup so the crickets could climb into view for the cham, but not high enough to jump out. The cup itself is see-through, so my chameleon immediately saw the crickets and shot at the cup. It only took one missed hit on the outside of the cup for him to learn to shoot through the cut-out part.

I had an attachment for a bird cage that the cup fits into perfectly, so it hangs inside his free range, next to his favorite vine. But you can get creative with zip ties and attach it easily anywhere.

I'm out of town and can't attach a picture, but will ask my pet sitter to take one for me.

:)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.694419,-96.851116

Back
Top Bottom