Cricket Food Salsa

shrink9

Anyone have the recipe they use to make Cricket Food Salsa? I read it once but haven't been able to locate it since. Any input is appreciated.

Allen

Anyone have the recipe they use to make Cricket Food Salsa? I read it once but haven't been able to locate it since. Any input is appreciated.

Allen

Allen, my friend Josh, was taking about making it a little while ago:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/collard-greens-killing-crickets-12657/index3.html
The mix was controversial because it involved food processing the salsa in bulk, and freezing the remainder for further use. Once frozen most of the vegetables nutritional content is lost.....
I would presume that it would be nutritional if you only made it in weekly portions, but not economical if you were purchasing all of these veggies alone.
Hopefully Josh will chime in and enlighten us with more information on his salsa methods :D

yeah i use a food processed method. the frozen batches arent AS nutritious and dont hold as long once defrosted as fresh.but, that with cricketfood.com grain mix,this stuff is their primary food, not just gutload and ive never seen fatter and happier crickets and chameleons; so.... im sticking with it.lol and i figure since a good percentage of nutritional value is lost, using it as a staple for the crickets and not just a gutload, makes up for the loss.

this salsa is also used to "gutload" my superworms and they love it too.

How do you feed the superworms? In a dish? I keep my supers in a bedding. How do you accommodate the salsa?

Allen

sorry lol. for the superworms... i have seen plastic cups wired around the cup and into the side of the cage with the worms in it. tilted down near a branch so the chams can reach it.

yeah i use the milk jug with screen feeding setup for both crickets and superworms. the superworms craw up the screen just as easy as crickets.

Check it:

http://screameleons.com/site/3525/default.aspx

I'd use some sort of colored duct tape to wrap around the deli cup... some chameleons could easily shoot at the cup seeing an insect thru it and damage their tongue!

If I'm trying to teach the cham how to get his/her food from same spot, I'd use this...

http://screameleons.com/site/3467/default.aspx

(NOTICE)- No need to add plant, do EVERYTHING else!!! The crickets would actually just chill on the screens... any other feeder that i've used in the past silkies,roaches,butters,waxes,horns,meals,supers.. just chill.. make sure u DON'T use plastic screening! some of those little suckers could and would bite thru the screens.
Oh yeah another thing, make sure u make the floor of the milk gal. screened as well... u dont want ur feeders to die drowning! u want them to die with a tongue ZAP! knowing that they're helping ur beauties getting bigger, healthier, and stronger!

i use the 2nd one, the milk jug one, except i hot glue to inside of jug and not cut out those holes, my mist heads dont reach that far so i dont have to worry about flooding. i love it, hardly no escapees and ideal for monitoring food intake.

Well it never occured to me until I saw this but my crickets are dying from collard greens. I bought 24 yesterday and they were all fine but 6 are probably dead now. And that is all I gave them w/ that Flukers orange water gel. I washed the greens too. It is kind of scary if that is the cause because I actually buy the veggies for my skinny pigs and definitely do not want them ingesting that. I never by collard greens either - my vet told me yesterday I needed to put more collard greens and kale in their diets (the pigs). Greaaat advice. :p

For what it's worth, I prepared the salsa recipe as printed (including collard greens). Wow! Did my crickets scurry for it! They covered it in no time. The next day, they were obviously full of the mixture--their bellies are so plump.

I am definitely sold.

By the way, I didn't have losses due to collard greens. I did buy organic veggies--Maybe that makes a difference, I don't know.

I will be making this again and again!!!

Allen

glad its working out for you, i love this stuff too. sometimes i grab a plump cricket to hand feed and he busts at the gut.:eek:ewww.lol

Back
Top Bottom