Could Have Been the Worst Day Ever!

Synapse

Could Have Been the Worst Day Ever!
Wake up smiling after a long night of 4th of July celebrations. Rolled outta bed and took a nice long warm shower. Kicked the girlfriend out, fed my animals, and ate breakfast watching my animals eat. No work today. What a perfect day so far.
Ace, my big ambilobe boy, was begging to be let out of his cage as usual. He crawls onto my hand and we make our way downstairs and outside to the backyard to his favorite free-range tree. He eagerly climbs onto his tree and I go back inside to quickly change into my swimming trunks. I get a phone call from the boss and listen to his nonsense for a few minutes before hanging up.
I run downstairs and outside to check on Ace. HE'S NOWHERE TO BE FOUND!
I tell myself not to panic and search the entire backyard in-by-inch. I looked up and down all of the tree trunks in my backyard, around the toolshed, in all of the shrubbery and random backyard furniture.... NOTHING. I got down on my hands and knees and crawled around the majority of the backyard trying to think like a chameleon. NOTHING. My neighbors two young kids probably thought I was insane or something I looked like such a maniac crawling around my entire backyard like a lizard. I definitely heard them giggle as I crawled by.
After an hour or so of searching I went back inside the house in panic mode. I thought I was going to lose my first chameleon and it was all my fault. I remember my friend questioning me on trusting my cham to not run away when I leave it outside on the free-range. He told me I was too trusting of my cham and that he is an animal and will run away when given the opportunity. I remember laughing it off and telling him I had everything under control. I felt like such a fool.
I nearly gave up all hope. I went back outside and searched again for another half hour. NOTHING. I thought he was a goner. I thought I was never going to see him again. I logged online to the cham forums searching for ways to find missing chams. I couldn't find anything and ended up looking at pictures of Ace from when he was a baby. I remember feeling very sad. I told myself one last time I wasn't going to give up my search. He couldn't have made it that far.
I looked around the garden and shrubbery one last time. NOTHING. Checked the fences and entire front yard. NOTHING. I never felt so angry at myself in my entire life. I sat down on the sun lounger angrily and looked up at the tree to my left. My eyes scanned the tree trunk from bottom to top.
I saw red and green, and my heart nearly stopped. The little monster had climbed pretty high up there.
I ran to the toolshed and pulled out the ladder. I quickly laid the ladder out onto the tree and started climbing up. I regret not having making sure the ladder was steady because it was wobbling the entire time I was on it. I remember looking down when I got to the top and almost crapping my pants. One wrong move and this ladder would go crashing down and I kept having images of my neck being broken flash through my head. I looked up and I could see Ace peering down at me with that smug little smile.
I reached out and told him to crawl onto my hand like he would understand me and listen to me somehow. I put my hand out to him... he grabs one finger AND STARTS TO CLIMB UP THE TREE USING IT AS LEVERAGE! I remember flipping out and yelling at him. "YOU LITTLE **** GET BACK DOWN HERE! STOP CLIMBING UP GOD ******! Looking back on it now I probably looked so stupid yelling at a lizard while about to fall off a ladder. I decided to take the initiative and snapped the branch he was climbing up. Good thing he has a strong grip or he could have easily been flung off the branch after I snapped it.
Climbing down the ladder was twice as scary as climbing up it. The trees in my backyard are very old and are over 50 feet tall. If he had kept climbing, I don't know if I could have spotted him or gotten him down by myself.
I kissed Ace on the head and put him back in his cage inside and thanked my lucky stars. I could have paid the price for my stupidity and carelessness today but I did not.
Never let your guard down with your pets boys and girls... it's always better to be safe than sorry. I sure as hell learned my lesson today and hope no one here has to go through what I did. :cool:
View from top of the ladder. Ace had gotten to near the top of this pic, I had to stand on the last step of the ladder with my arm stretched upwards to barely grab the branch he was on.
p7050026p.jpg

Here is farther shot. To the left is my neighbor's regulation basketball hoop to see the approximate height.
p7050030.jpg

The branch he was on that I snapped off. Definitely keeping this as a reminder. Not making the same mistake twice!
p7050029m.jpg

Sorry to bore you guys with the long story lol. I really love my cham a lot. ;)

You let him free range on that huge tree by himself outside :eek: Lucky no birds got to him before you did! Thank god you got him back and good thing you didn't get hurt as well!!

Well I've not had a recapture that was that dangerous to my own safety, but I do know how you feel :D
I had my little girl out of my sight for 5 mins last week due to bad positioning of her mesh waste paper basket that I use when she's in the sun. She was in the nearest bush!
It's quite a relief when you spot them eh?

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE SPEED OF A DETERMINED CHAMELEON!

I'm very glad you got him back. Lesson learned, right? And no, you can't blame your boss for delaying you too long :D

Here is a pic of his free-range tree.

p7050001l.jpg

Here is a pic of his free range tree to the one I found him on. You can still see the ladder in the back.

p7050002.jpg

And chams are definitely speedy little creatures when they want to get somewhere. :D

I just love "happy endings" so glad you got em back. I would have been freaking the frig out! I get bent when I can't see mine in the cage for a few minutes:rolleyes:

p7050001l.jpg

Here is a pic of his free range tree to the one I found him on. You can still see the ladder in the back.

p7050002.jpg

And chams are definitely speedy little creatures when they want to get somewhere. :D

Get a Bird X net (sold to keep birds from getting at fruit on trees...check a local nursery) for his free range tree to keep him from leaving it again.

yeah. sure glad you found him. lucky he didn't go any higher to where you wouldn't be able to see him. he sure did cover some ground!!

Get a Bird X net (sold to keep birds from getting at fruit on trees...check a local nursery) for his free range tree to keep him from leaving it again.

Definitely going to look into getting one of those. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Definitely going to look into getting one of those. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

I know you can get them online too, not very expensive. Also check online for other types of bird netting used for aviaries and game bird farms.

A good lesson for you and all to learn that you do not leave your chameleon unattended for a moment, just like a child really. The birds would have scared me worse than the tree. I have went through a close encounter with a hawk and after that I got an outdoor cage and came out and found a hawk sitting on the cage trying to get at my chameleon. Glad you got him back safe and sound!

You kept me very entertained with that story and the fact that you found him..made it all even better! Lesson learned. Chameleons are quick when you let them be. ;)

I have several potted trees inside that I let my chams free range on ... they have on occasion wandered off ... we lost our flapneck over the weekend. After much searching we found him up in the bedroom closet looking down at us with his big eyes.

I never let them outside unless they are in a secure cage. The little buggers are too quick!

It is great that you learned without losing a chameleon. you should do as Carlton suggested. I hate the threads where a cham is lost even more than one that is dead. The lost one's can always be prevented. I always hope at least one person learns from each thread like this.

p7050001l.jpg

p7050002.jpg

What kind of tree is this?

I'm so glad this ended well! It's a good thing they can hide from pretty much anyone. I'm always on the lookout for big birds around when we're outside. There are tons of red tailed and cooper hawks in my area. Very lucky. :)

Chameleons on round about

WOW, I just read this story for the first time...that is one HELL of a tree!! Talk about a determined lizard! My Kirby doesn't have trees that large, but he has also gotten away from me outside when I literally turn my head another direction! He knows to move when Mommy isn't watching. One day on the front porch he got curious when I went inside just for a second... I came back out and couldn't see him...started to run down the stairs to go look for him...and saw the view in the first picture I'm including. I just cracked up! All I could see was this tiny little head looking out the deck rails. He's fast when he wants to be! But I can't imagine climbing up that huge tree for your boy. That was pretty funny that he used your hand as leverage to climb even higher!! Sounds exactly like a chameleon!! I'm really glad it turned out okay for you both.

Attachments

• what mommy saw.jpg
    what mommy saw.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Kirby contemplates.jpg
    Kirby contemplates.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom