Confusion on Silkworm eggs

Lindz

I'm just considering breeding eggs so it can save me some money. I've read the Silkworms 101 thread and I'm confused on how it comes to storing them. Do I have to have an incubator? CoastalSilks has the kit with everything you need but doesn't come with an incubator. Is there any site that talks about it clearly that I can look at? Multiple posts jumping around in a thread is not a good match with someone who has ADHD :D

incubator = your fridge

when you get eggs freshly laid give them a week to see if they hatch, some might, most likely they wont...then put them in the fridge for a month before taking out an hatching again.

I'm just considering breeding eggs so it can save me some money. I've read the Silkworms 101 thread and I'm confused on how it comes to storing them. Do I have to have an incubator? CoastalSilks has the kit with everything you need but doesn't come with an incubator. Is there any site that talks about it clearly that I can look at? Multiple posts jumping around in a thread is not a good match with someone who has ADHD :D

From my experience, I had the eggs in the fridge then in February - March I'd start getting them out in 2-3 large rectangle tupper wares, setting them on top of paper towel. When they start to hatch - about a week- I'd give them Mulberry leaves that were collected the season before. They have to grow in a very clean enviroment or bacteria will grow and it will kill them all. You feed them to your pets as they grow. If you want to keep the process going, save a few worms to turn to moths. A few of them will lay hundred of eggs, then place them in the fridge for a couple of months and so on...

incubator = your fridge

when you get eggs freshly laid give them a week to see if they hatch, some might, most likely they wont...then put them in the fridge for a month before taking out an hatching again.

Short and sweet...

incubator = your fridge

They hatch because they retain traits of their parent hybrids, which, some lay eggs to hatch, some requires cold storage.

So, storing them for 2 months+ will give you a much higher yield. 1 month may not be enough. It only gave me 50% .Two months + gave me 100% hatch.

Good luck!

From my experience, I had the eggs in the fridge then in February - March I'd start getting them out in 2-3 large rectangle tupper wares, setting them on top of paper towel. When they start to hatch - about a week- I'd give them Mulberry leaves that were collected the season before. They have to grow in a very clean enviroment or bacteria will grow and it will kill them all. You feed them to your pets as they grow. If you want to keep the process going, save a few worms to turn to moths. A few of them will lay hundred of eggs, then place them in the fridge for a couple of months and so on...

Did you have a lot of success rearing kegos on old leaves??? Wow, that is pretty good. I used to wake up at at least once or even twice to pick young tenderlings.. and brush the kegos.

Kego? I would collect the leaves early in the season, rinse them in water, place them in ziplock bags, about 10-15 per bag and then freeze them until needed. Never had problems raising silkworms from eggs this way.

Kego? I would collect the leaves early in the season, rinse them in water, place them in ziplock bags, about 10-15 per bag and then freeze them until needed. Never had problems raising silkworms from eggs this way.

that is pretty good. So you thaw them and grind them to smaller pieces?? They don't get soggy on you? I have never tried that...

Never had any problems!...

good to know for our purposes. i consulted my sericulturist scientist. She said they are not as nutritious. But their purpose is to produce silk. Ours is different.. so as long as it works, I don't see a problem! I'll do the same come next season. :)

good to know for our purposes. i consulted my sericulturist scientist. She said they are not as nutritious. But their purpose is to produce silk. Ours is different.. so as long as it works, I don't see a problem! I'll do the same come next season. :)

Let us know how that works for you! :)

Back
Top Bottom