Confused on Pygmy Substrate

Bed-A Beast is one brand name for the compact coconut fiber bricks that you soak in water that create a nice top layer. Some people mix with sand or soil.

I use bed -a-beast/coco fiber mixed with peat moss and a little top soil.

I find the coco fiber dries out too soon on its own.
Have fun,
T.

Sorry didn't answer the original question:
hydroton, screen, charcoal (optional) screen, spagnum(sp?) moss around pots, fiber/topsoil etc...

Be aware that topsoil (in pots and in bags) typically has fungus gnats in it so...cook the soil and repot plants and use the rest to mix with coco fiber.

tryme: I mix the two....if you are asking what goes at the bottom of the setg-up on the glass, well that would be hydroton etc...like above.

Have a good un,
T.

ok so you mix bedabeast and topsoil for the pots and for the substrate you do all the hydroton etc?

In my enclosures, I put styrofoam peanuts (didn't have easy access to hydroton), screen, charcoal, screen, then topsoil (no perlite!) mixed w/coconut fiber around the pots. I planted a couple of plants directly into the substrate. Haven't lost any plants...in fact, they grow too fast. One of my brevs really likes to dig (it's a male). Sometimes it almost looks like he wants to lay an egg, but we know he's sexed correctly. I figure he's going after pillbugs, or maybe a cricket that dug in.

I'm sure somebody has recently posted this link, but I haven't been on much in a while...this article is pretty specific on setting up pygmy enclosures. Good luck!

http://chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=63

Last edited:
ok so you mix bedabeast and topsoil for the pots and for the substrate you do all the hydroton etc?

Put down a layer of hydroton, then a layer of screen, then set the pots on the bottom layer, then place the coconut-fiber/topsoil around the pots. My pots stick up a little higher, but that is not a problem.

While we are on the subject of substrate:
How often does everyone clean thier cage out?
Do u take out all the layers or just replace the top?

Back
Top Bottom