Concerned: Possible Skin Infection

cham2cham

This skin reaction has been noticed the past few days on her. She doesn't seem to be SEEN eating quite as much. She is housed in an 18 x 24 screen Explorarium cage. outdoor enclosure with a female Jackson's that is 3 months younger then her. She is an Ambilobe about 4 months old. They both seem to get along and have never hissed or fought with each other.
I put Triple Antibiotic on the skin since I'm not able afford a vet. I care for my chams very much and any help would be much obliged. She has lost weight slowly from the last weigh in as follows:
10/27/08 11/2/08 11/9/08
30.9 28.4 27.8
On the last picture you can see it slightly on the other side.

Thanks everyone for any help in advance.

Attachments

• DSC05366_2.JPG
    DSC05366_2.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC05369.JPG
    DSC05369.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC05374.JPG
    DSC05374.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC05375.JPG
    DSC05375.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Thanks for helping me out. What do you mean thermal burn? I'm thinking its some find of sunburn? Putting a triple bio on it wouldn't hurt.... right? I hope not. She looked great a couple weeks ago. I see them close to everyday. I noticed it a couple days ago. I brought her inside to sleep last night? Do you think its anything to worry about?

a thermal burn usually starts from an unusual green patch on the skin. It is caused by being too close to a heat lamp. After the skin turns green, it turns a gray or black color. The tissue will then become necrotic. Infection is imminent if it is not treated properly. Unfortunately, the skin WILL fall off (only in the burned spot), but on the other hand, the skin will grow back after a while. There is a permanent scar.When you go to the vet, most likely your vet will clean the wound and use sterile dressing.
Your vet might prescribe some topical ointment such as Silvadene cream
If infection occurs, some antibiotics will be needed.Deep burns will need more aggressive treatment (i.e.: culture, sensitivity, and/or debridement) done by your vet.Let the scab fall of on its own. Do not try to peel it off!Chameleons with thermal burn cases recover very slow. Therefore, persistence and patience of the owner are needed.

It could also be a UVB burn. It is caused by having too many ultraviolet rays being absorbed into the skin. This can detiriorate a chameleons health quickly. The fastest death by UVB burn is 2 days...I dont knowmuch else about UVB burns,though.

She's outside in a screen cage, Never artificial heat ever, except when inside the house. Its warm and there about 80%of the inside is vegetation.
The pictures are very good in means of what it looks like. It doesn't seem she is bothered when I touch it. Its not swollen or blistering either. When she's asleep, she is very light in color everywhere but that location. She is very tame when I hold her. She rests her chin on my hand and is still. She can move. When I guide her onto a branch she isn't very receptive on going.
If its a burn, how should I treat, If its a fungus, how should I treat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom