Colored lights at night?

Joann

I think I posted something about this already but Im old so I forget things.
Anyway in the room were I will be keeping the cham. I have a leopard gecko across the room with a blue night light.I also have a red light on another cage.Wiill this bother the cham? Could I just throw a towel over the cage if it does?

I think I posted something about this already but Im old so I forget things.
Anyway in the room were I will be keeping the cham. I have a leopard gecko across the room with a blue night light.I also have a red light on another cage.Wiill this bother the cham? Could I just throw a towel over the cage if it does?

Kind of hard to say without observing your cham. It would be really easy to drape a dark piece of cloth over the cham's cage on the side visible to the lights. Think of it like an odd looking bird cage. I've done this often.

If it's dim/across the room he may sleep. My cham stays sleeping when I turn a reading light on, much brighter than those lights, but this is after he's already fallen asleep in complete dark. If it can't get to sleep, some kind of drape could work.

I guess you have to wait and see Joann, I prefer this type below for night lighting, the light is very dim, much dimmer than red or blue party globes.
Years ago I had several banks of enclosures all using red globes for night heating.
This was not only excruciating on the eyes for us humans in the house, but I found it disturbed the sleeping patterns of almost all my reptiles.
Nightlight_Reptile_Heat_Bulb.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chicken_Roaster :D
KRR+red+light.jpg

any particular reason for the light on the leopard gecko? if you wanted you can do away with the light on them completely. the just need a undertank heat source or heat rock. if you decide to go with a heat rock plug it in for 1 hr (outside the cage) and then put your hand on it for a few minutes. if you can stand the heat your gecko will to. if you cant return it for another.

on another note. if the chameleon is settled and not new to its enviroment. most will go to sleep no matter what light is casted. some will find a leaf to hide behind while other will just sleep in the normal sleeping spot.

I guess mine does not fit into the catagory of "most" lol!!!! My little stinker will not close his eyes til I cover his cage at night. He literally will sit there with his eyes wide open if there is the slightest bit of light in the room. One night we forgot to cover the cage and came home around midnight and there he was sitting on his branch with tailed curled and eyes wide open! About 5 minutes later I peeked in after I covered the cage and he was fast asleep!

I guess mine does not fit into the catagory of "most" lol!!!! My little stinker will not close his eyes til I cover his cage at night. He literally will sit there with his eyes wide open if there is the slightest bit of light in the room. One night we forgot to cover the cage and came home around midnight and there he was sitting on his branch with tailed curled and eyes wide open! About 5 minutes later I peeked in after I covered the cage and he was fast asleep!

hahah! someone spoiled ??

Sounds like Id be best to just cover his cage at night just to be sure.
Thanks.I dont happen to have any extra UTHs for the gecko.So I just put on a light for now.As for the red light its just a 40 watt to give a little extra heat to a large glass aquarium.I hesitate buying fancy expensive bulbs right now because I'll be moving things around in a few months and doing away with the night lights completely.

Mine prefer lasers and loud bass:eek:... Really though mine could sleep through anything, guess it all depends on the individual. If the eyes are closed shortly after lights off and remain closed and has the sleepy colors. You can do anything you really want unless you can see you are disturbing them.Then make changes as needed.

the gecko really needs UTH source asap if there is not one accessible for it. Dont like rocks unless you control them with thermostats which is ideal in any UTH situation.

Back
Top Bottom