coloration when basking.

chiefpach

My varrocosus chameleon turned completely white while basking. Is this normal? He is basking in a regular house hold 60 watt lightbulb.

I don't know that species but I'd say no, they bask to warm up, so normally they get dark to absorb the heat. was he actively basking (flattening himself, facing the light)? also are you sure both sides were white? some times the side facing the light will be dark while the other side will be light.

at lest for panthers extreamly light colors can be a sign of over heating, sleeping/resting or in some cases illness. what are your temps like, was he gaping (mouth open)? hopefullysome one with experience with varrocsus can chime in.

if it's to hot they will open thier mouth to try to let off heat (sorta like dogs) what are your tempatures? if you don't have a good digital tempature gauge you need one (well 2, one for the basking site and one for the lower part of the cage) if you want to be thrifty you can just buy one at a hardware store (best to get one that has a out door probe)

I'm not sure the tempature needs of your chameleon, look around on this site I'm sure there is some info.

:)ya my chams turn practically black to warm up then slowly go to normal warmed up colorations...if they get too warm they usually go really pale and gape to control body temps..once you change the bulb or just lift the light a lil further away from the top of the basking point it may help alot..good luck!!

Again also get a couple of thermometers if you don't have them. And find out whet temps your chameleon needs.

Back
Top Bottom