Cod Liver Oil and chameleons

AJA

Established Member
I am wondering if anyone has given CLO to their chameleon? I know of some people who administer Vit A oil to their chameleons but was wondering if the Vitamin D in the oil would benefit them too? Would the omega 3 fatty acids be bad for them?

I know you need to use caution when administrating fat soluable vitamins so a toxcity doesn't build up. So I am suggesting its use on non-montane types of chameleons and perhaps one drop per week. (too much?)

Here is a link to CLO: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_liver_oil

If this has been discussed before, please post the link. I did a Search and it was only picking up the word "liver" and not 'cod' or 'oil'.

There are some very good references on this thread as well.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/what-mbd-really-how-severe-33660/

No one? Dave? Ryan? Chris? Fabian? Lynda? Trace? Brad?

Or is the question just not worth answering?

I give it to all my chams in tiny amounts once every 1 1/5 months or in larger doses if I need an individual to poop.

It contains a good alternate source of retinol (vitamin A) as well as other fishy goodness.

Edit: I do notice that it gives their skin a particularly healthy sheen for a week or so after. My chams have access to all day sun which can leave their skin a little dry if they over do the basking. I avoid giving it to them during a shed.

I confess, my fingers reak of fish oil from time to time. I use the jell caps, and cut tops of and draw up the oil in syringe.

I give it to all my chams in tiny amounts once every 1 1/5 months or in larger doses if I need an individual to poop.

It contains a good alternate source of retinol (vitamin A) as well as other fishy goodness.

Edit: I do notice that it gives their skin a particularly healthy sheen for a week or so after. My chams have access to all day sun which can leave their skin a little dry if they over do the basking. I avoid giving it to them during a shed.

Jono, funny you mention the skin condition because I have noticed this myself. They always seem to shed shortly after I administer It as well.

Back
Top Bottom