Coca Cola mini fridge incubator?

chameleonneeds

Avid Member
Hey all

Was wondering about using a coca cola mini fridge as an incubator...
Thought of it when I was talking to another breeder about trying different temperature techniques and diapause for Panthers and he said he would use a coca cola mini fridge.

Does anyone here use them? Im also not sure if there are any that can hold a specific temperature of atleast 15 C and over 20 C for proper incubation.

I cant really find anything on the net but have seen some forsale here in South Africa and was thinking I should get one if it can be done.

What you guys think?

-Tyrone

I'm currently converting a mini fridge into an incubator. Not sure what you mean by coca cola fridge though. If you are talking about the units with a glass door, you will need to paint the door or something to block out light.

I'm currently converting a mini fridge into an incubator. Not sure what you mean by coca cola fridge though. If you are talking about the units with a glass door, you will need to paint the door or something to block out light.

Why would the light have to be blocked out?

It looks identical to the Reptile Pro MR-148 Incubator that you find on LLLReptiles except its red with the coca cola logo or whatever on it.
So it must be the same???

Converting a small fridge can be done easily enough, as long as the seals on the door are in good shape itll do great. If you need some tips on "how-to", let me know, otherwise post pics when its done please. Go For it! :)

Hey Jojackson, I dont really know about converting a fridge into an incubator...seems like too much for me...I like things easy and simple lol..

I managed to see some of the coca cola mini fridges today, and they are a bit smaller than I thought, they do warm and cool down though, perfect! So I will be getting 2 of them on Sunday...Will use them to create a diapause for my panthers and for me to hopefuly work with some other species in the future such as Carpets, Mellers, and maybe even Parsonii one day...

Theres an orange eye male here for R5000, I paid R3500 for a merumontanus jackson!
Thats around $700 so will have to see if I get him or not...

I too made a incuibator. The problem I had was it stayed the same temp 24/7 I put veiled eggs in it ,had the temp in the low 70s and they took just over a year to hatch.The following season i put eggs in deli cups with vermiculite. put them in a shoe box and put them in the hall closet.7 months later I had babys. I the good incuibators have at least 2 temp setting. The coldest my house get at nite in the winter is 62 any way i thought i'dd share my efforts on making a incuibator

Well I started using it yesterday and I am lowering the temps for the diapause..going to be around 19-20C for 40 days then will start raising the temps slowly and see what happens! the incubator seems to be doing what its supposed to, the temps are where they need to be...

Eggs should be kept in a dark place.

I think its this one: http://koolatrononline.stores.yahoo.net/kwc25-coca-cola-fridge.html

That appears to be just like the Think Geek minifridge everyone's been using here in the US, just a different paint job. I'd make sure to put a reliable thermometer inside the unit to make sure your temps are where you want them. Don't rely on the digital reading because they all seem to be a few degrees off. Once you have it set where you want it, the temps inside the egg containers should remain quite stable. For the price, I think it's a handy little unit.

Oh thats pretty cool, I should get some pics up of my incubator, looks pretty cool with a coca cola paint job lol...

Thanks for the advice, Ive put 2 thermometers inside it, one digital inside the egg tub and another on the inside of the door of the incubator which is an aquarium thermometer...the temps seem to be at what I want and set them to, but will watch closely if anything goes wrong.

Im really excited to see if any eggs will hatch out sooner or later with the diapause, I have 3 clutches laid at different times so curious to see if any hatch at different times aswell.

These are for your panthers, right? I always said I'd try controlling the diapause in panther eggs if I got one of these. I've had it 16 months and still haven't. :rolleyes: It will be interesting to hear your results. I'm currently using mine to incubate cricket eggs but have hatched green tree pythons (need very constant inc temps) and weidersheimi chameleons in it so far.

Yes its for my panthers. I will let you know how it turns out with them...
Its nice to have this incubator around, Im actualy thinking of getting another one or 2 in the future. Hope I get to be putting things like weidersheimi eggs in mine some day :D

nice idea, i'll go look for something like that overhere, in what kind of store did you find them?

normally i incubate my diapause in the same fridge as were my own food is, regulator set on "1" gives 8 degrees celcius, which is ok for minor, lateralis etc... for panthers it will kill the eggs as i tried myself.

It really is working great for me, it is keeping the temp at a constant 19 degrees.

I bought it at a fancy home store, that sould things like containers, dishes, and stuff like that.

But I think there are lots of products like this that are the same product just with different colours and such...

I saw the same fridge at another store today for almost double the price I paid for it.

Mario keep your eyes open for these, they work very well!

Back
Top Bottom