Clumsy Veiled Chameleon

davross

Hi,

I recently purchased a small (approx 3" head to tail) male baby veiled Chameleon and was told by the guy in the shop that I should try to handle him often so he gets used to me and will be friendly in the long run. The problem I am having is that as soon as I pick him up he climbs on to the top of my head. He sits there for a while but is very clumsy so eventually falls off onto the floor.

I am getting worried that he is going to end up braking a leg or something. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave.

Thats disturbing, dont let him fall. certainly dont let him fall far or onto a hard surface or he may well break a limb or sustain internal injury and die.
My answer would be that they dont climb hands or heads (hair is slippery) in the wild, or tree trunks etc. There feet are designed to grip branches of certain thicknesses (bushes/shrubs) and the claws are not really helpfull on many surfaces. It might be better to handle your cham by letting it sit on a thin branch and holding the branch, so it can better grip.

Note: im a newby to chams myself, so if you think its weak, sick, unco-ordinated (possible symptom) dont hesitate to see a vet.

I was just about to post a question regarding my veiled when I saw this.
I have just put a nice live potted hibiscus in my babys cage and he seems to enjoy it.
My question, 'Do chams fall?' is related to him literally 'going out on a limb' and getting right to the end where there is no further to go, the nearest other limb being too far to reach unless he goes and back up/accross.

I was wondering as I watched him explore the plant, might he actually fall, or are they generally more carefull? Its a bit nerve wracking, but unless I really overcrowd the cage with sticks twigs branches (making cleaning difficult) he will have to turn around and go back I guess. They must do in the wild no?

Last edited:
Hi,

I recently purchased a small (approx 3" head to tail) male baby veiled Chameleon and was told by the guy in the shop that I should try to handle him often so he gets used to me and will be friendly in the long run. The problem I am having is that as soon as I pick him up he climbs on to the top of my head. He sits there for a while but is very clumsy so eventually falls off onto the floor.

I am getting worried that he is going to end up braking a leg or something. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave.

Don't hold him.

-Brad

can you post a pic of your chameleon and several pics of his limbs?
I agree with Brad. There is no need to handle him too often.
except during cage cleaning.

Your a real font of wisdom Brad!
Yes, chams are always touted as look only reptiles and soon enough the observant person realises its stressful for them and avoids it where possible, That said, how many honestly can resist the occasional interaction with their cham/s?
the 'harm minimisation' stratedgy here would be advise not doing it often and how to do it safely no?

Last edited:
I am going to have to agree with Brad here. Don't hold him. Falling that distance will certainly cause injury, why would you think he can fall multiple times and be OK? Let him adjust to his new home, over time get him used to handfeeding, and then let him decide if he trusts you enough to step out on to your hand. If you wanted a "holding" lizard get a bearded dragon.

Chameleons have little or no depth perception caused by their eyes being able to look in different directions......especially when they are young you have to be VERY CAREFUL....if you let them walk on a table or your head, they will just walk right off. They do not realize that they are at the edge. Yes, I would think they could easily break their legs.

I would have thought a chameleons depth/distance perception to be quite good considering binocular vision, else they would starve ?

Chameleons have little or no depth perception caused by their eyes being able to look in different directions......especially when they are young you have to be VERY CAREFUL....if you let them walk on a table or your head, they will just walk right off. They do not realize that they are at the edge. Yes, I would think they could easily break their legs.

I am sorry.. but, imho, I think chameleon do have depth perception and in fact better than us human.
Somebody correct me if i am wrong.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1511/is_n6_v16/ai_16951742

Your a real font of wisdom Brad!

You don't have to be wordy to be wise ;)

-Brad

Incidentally, regarding chameleon's depth perception ... I believe it is this that allows them to so accurately target and shoot prey.
Young chameleons have the same perception as adults, they are just clumsy.

-B.

The bigger issue, and this is through my observations only, is that when chameleons go into "flight" mode, aka panic, they become consumed with escaping and often prone to falling as they aren't making careful footing decisions.

Lol no offense intended Brad, I just wouldnt have found that comment helpful. I could see your eyes rolling as you wrote it though, Some folk just dont think.

how about my question re normal climbing guys, is it likely? does it ever happen?
I know when watching him he sometimes 'feels about' for the branch with a hind foot while walking because hes busy looking at prey or watching for preds or both, but still, 4 limbs with opposable digits and strong grip and a prehensile tail, totally arborial, this is a critter ment to climb, just not unnatural surfaces like heads!

I'm no advocate of dropping chameleons, or allowing them to fall from heights, but I had always thought that, to a certain extent, they were built to handle that - isn't one of their primary escape strategies if a bird or snake comes in the night to drop to the ground? Which, again, isn't to say plummeting is good for them, I'd just always thought they were better equipped to handle it than a ground-dwelling lizard like a leopard gecko.

I think Brad and Julirs advice is good advice. Obviously the chameleon in question is in danger of falling if handled as is being done currently. So dont try to hold him, and he wont flee to the highest possible place (head) and then fall. Pet shops give bad advice. Chameleons are not animals that like to be played with.

Back
Top Bottom