Clear some thing up for me?-Dart frogs :)

okiroo

Avid Member
as some may know i've been thinking about darts for a while. i either want a single bumble bee or a pair of thumbnails. the set up has been established for a good long while and nice and grown in. its a 12x12x18. formerly it had pygmys that died. i sprayed some disinfectant in the cage a month or two (or longer ago). i assume the cage would be safe to use now? it has a pill bug, some moths, and springtails in it. also the top of the cage is screen. how do i go about getting a glass top? would take plastic wrap and covering the screen be ok? I hear ALOT about them escaping. will these frogs use the kind of space I'm providing? are these good starter frogs? where should i buy them?(good safe breeders not sending super young froglets). how do i supplement these frogs? i have all three chameleon supplements, do i need to buy something different?

anything you have to tell em will be good. I'm not jumping into anything and might buy some at the Andorson show in December (or a good breeder online)

thanks for your help!!!

For supplementing, I use Dendrocare. My Azureus are eight years old and that is the only supplement I have ever used. It's made specifically for poison arrow frogs.

I also had a piece of glass cut for a part of the top of my tank.

I bought mine from Heath's Frog Farm at the Hamburg, PA reptile show. I don't think he does any Internet business. But if so, he is a great guy. He has a nice selection of frogs.

Debbie

as some may know i've been thinking about darts for a while. i either want a single bumble bee or a pair of thumbnails. the set up has been established for a good long while and nice and grown in. its a 12x12x18. formerly it had pygmys that died. i sprayed some disinfectant in the cage a month or two (or longer ago). i assume the cage would be safe to use now? it has a pill bug, some moths, and springtails in it. also the top of the cage is screen. how do i go about getting a glass top? would take plastic wrap and covering the screen be ok? I hear ALOT about them escaping. will these frogs use the kind of space I'm providing? are these good starter frogs? where should i buy them?(good safe breeders not sending super young froglets). how do i supplement these frogs? i have all three chameleon supplements, do i need to buy something different?

anything you have to tell em will be good. I'm not jumping into anything and might buy some at the Andorson show in December (or a good breeder online)

Leucs (Bumblebees) like to be in groups, so a single frog might not be the way to go. Though with a small enclosure like that the most you could squeeze in would be two bumbles. Leucs are a good beginner frog. So are tincs.

if the enclosure is an exoterra, so long as the doors fit well a bumble bee dart frog wont get out, but do be careful about thumbnails (most would not recommend starting with a thumbnail until you have dart frog experience).

You can cover part of the top screen with glass (get a piece cut for you at a local glass place) or plexi (easy to cut yourself with a table saw) if your humidity gets too low (I find it is unnecessary to do so).

I use plain vitamin free calcium about 2 times a week, a mixed product once or twice a week. Depends on what type of prey they are getting. I use the same selection of products that I have for the chameleons (mineral - I, rep-cal, herptivite, repashy calcium plus).

did you see this ad ? https://www.chameleonforums.com/healthy-captive-bred-frogs-89601/

Last edited:
i had a piece of glass cut for the top of mine..

ok thanks! i was thinking i might.

For supplementing, I use Dendrocare. My Azureus are eight years old and that is the only supplement I have ever used. It's made specifically for poison arrow frogs.

I also had a piece of glass cut for a part of the top of my tank.

I bought mine from Heath's Frog Farm at the Hamburg, PA reptile show. I don't think he does any Internet business. But if so, he is a great guy. He has a nice selection of frogs.

Debbie

i'll look for that. sounds useful rather then remember to shedual a bunch of diffrent kinds. thanks!

Leucs (Bumblebees) like to be in groups, so a single frog might not be the way to go. Though with a small enclosure like that the most you could squeeze in would be two bumbles. Leucs are a good beginner frog. So are tincs.

if the enclosure is an exoterra, so long as the doors fit well a bumble bee dart frog wont get out, but do be careful about thumbnails (most would not recommend starting with a thumbnail until you have dart frog experience).

You can cover part of the top screen with glass (get a piece cut for you at a local glass place) or plexi (easy to cut yourself with a table saw) if your humidity gets too low (I find it is unnecessary to do so).

I use plain vitamin free calcium about 2 times a week, a mixed product once or twice a week. Depends on what type of prey they are getting. I use the same selection of products that I have for the chameleons (mineral - I, rep-cal, herptivite, repashy calcium plus).

did you see this ad ? https://www.chameleonforums.com/healthy-captive-bred-frogs-89601/

oh yes. they have more frogs in! if im buying online i buy most of my stuff there. gr8 service :) so 2 tincs in a 12x12x18 is better then 2 bumbles? i'll see if theres some i really like. :)

thanks everyone! :)

no, that's not what I meant. I meant tincs are good for beginners, as are the leucs. Either one will find that size exoterra a bit small, but it would be sifficient for a paid if you set it up right

ah i see. i really dont feel right getting a pair if its bare min. i might keep it for now empty and get a 24x24x48 or something. keep a pair or trio in that and raise froglets in there or something.

thanks for all your help :). it wont be anytime soon but when i do i'll post lots of pics. :D

Some thumbnails, like a pair of R. imitator or R. variabilis, would do well in a setup like that. Plus, they are pretty easy to breed. :D I had a pair of R. imitator 'Varadero'. Very pretty. It's fun to watch the male call and watch them carry their tadpoles. I've seen both sexes carry tadpoles, even though it's usually the male. They are most active and visible when they are courting. Leucs like to be in groups and although they will climb quite a bit, you'll definitely need a bigger floor space than 12 x 12, especially for a group of 3 or more. The best thing about leucs is their boldness (plus they have a great call). If your setup was 18 x 18 x 24, I'd recommend a pair of strawberry dart frogs (Oophaga pumilio), even though they are not technically a "thumbnail" species. They are really bold and there are many colorful morphs to choose from, but your setup is a little small for them. If you haven't already, you need to check out dendroboard.com. That forum, along with the Chameleon Forums, are the two most active frog/lizard forums that I've been a part of. Check out their classifieds. Every transaction that I've made on that forum has been a good one. Have fun with whatever species you choose, but beware! Dart frogs can become addictive, just like chameleons! :D

Perry

i think a 2x2x4 is overkill :)

a 18 cube is perfect for a couple darts. ;)

mabey if i saw how big they really are i wuddnt feel like im crunching them into a small space. i keep thinking there kinda big. :confused: if you and sandra say so then it must be true though! :p

Some thumbnails, like a pair of R. imitator or R. variabilis, would do well in a setup like that. Plus, they are pretty easy to breed. :D I had a pair of R. imitator 'Varadero'. Very pretty. It's fun to watch the male call and watch them carry their tadpoles. I've seen both sexes carry tadpoles, even though it's usually the male. They are most active and visible when they are courting. Leucs like to be in groups and although they will climb quite a bit, you'll definitely need a bigger floor space than 12 x 12, especially for a group of 3 or more. The best thing about leucs is their boldness (plus they have a great call). If your setup was 18 x 18 x 24, I'd recommend a pair of strawberry dart frogs (Oophaga pumilio), even though they are not technically a "thumbnail" species. They are really bold and there are many colorful morphs to choose from, but your setup is a little small for them. If you haven't already, you need to check out dendroboard.com. That forum, along with the Chameleon Forums, are the two most active frog/lizard forums that I've been a part of. Check out their classifieds. Every transaction that I've made on that forum has been a good one. Have fun with whatever species you choose, but beware! Dart frogs can become addictive, just like chameleons! :D

Perry

i love the thumbnails the most but it seems like i shouldnt start with them. (i like them all!) i really dont want to get something to complicated when i've never kept dainty frogs. i proablly will join the forums :D

mabey if i saw how big they really are i wuddnt feel like im crunching them into a small space. i keep thinking there kinda big. :confused: if you and sandra say so then it must be true though! :p i love the thumbnails the most but it seems like i shouldnt start with them. (i like them all!) i really dont want to get something to complicated when i've never kept dainty frogs. i proablly will join the forums :D

I keep a trio of cobalt tincs (very bold, one of the larger darts) in an exoterra that is 18 x18x24. Full grown they are kinda like golf ball size (only obviously not so spherical). They are very happy in it. A trio of leucs would be too (but I have seven of those so they are in a larger viv). While mostly terrestrial, Both make good use of the verticals as well as the ground.

I recommend watching a few You Tube vids that you can see them but also HEAR them, as each type has a different call. I think the buzz my tincs makes is great, but you have to be nearby to hear it - very quiet. The leucs I can hear from the next room. I think its a nice trill, but my partner things its like little annoying alarms. The mantella sounds like crickets.

Last edited:
A pair of thumb nails would fit in a 12x12x18 fine . One leuc would be fine also. Tincs are way to big and need more ground space. As for vitiams I use Repashy calcium plus, herptivite, and repashy vitamin A. Just have a piece of glass cut at lowes it will cut you maybe 4 or 5 dollers try to leave about an inch of screen in the top open for alittle ventalion. Iv got some R. variabilis froglets for sale if your interested.

Ditto on Repashy's Calcium Plus. Many dart frog hobbyists use Repashy's Calcium Plus with virtually every feeding. Many attribute the preformed vitamin A it contains as the primary reason for seeing a great increase in egg viability. Also, although you might think that a thumbnail is too difficult as your first dart frog to keep, many people find species like R. imitator and R. variabilis as an easy first frog. Plus, neither of those is going to set you back to any significant degree (pretty inexpensive as far as thumbnails are concerned).

Perry

I keep a trio of cobalt tincs (very bold, one of the larger darts) in an exoterra that is 18 x18x24. Full grown they are kinda like golf ball size (only obviously not so spherical). They are very happy in it. A trio of leucs would be too (but I have seven of those so they are in a larger viv). While mostly terrestrial, Both make good use of the verticals as well as the ground.

I recommend watching a few You Tube vids that you can see them but also HEAR them, as each type has a different call. I think the buzz my tincs makes is great, but you have to be nearby to hear it - very quiet. The leucs I can hear from the next room. I think its a nice trill, but my partner things its like little annoying alarms. The mantella sounds like crickets.

wow golf balls?! thats a decent sized frog! I like the way all of them sound includeing the leucs. :)

A pair of thumb nails would fit in a 12x12x18 fine . One leuc would be fine also. Tincs are way to big and need more ground space. As for vitiams I use Repashy calcium plus, herptivite, and repashy vitamin A. Just have a piece of glass cut at lowes it will cut you maybe 4 or 5 dollers try to leave about an inch of screen in the top open for alittle ventalion. Iv got some R. variabilis froglets for sale if your interested.

PM sent

Ditto on Repashy's Calcium Plus. Many dart frog hobbyists use Repashy's Calcium Plus with virtually every feeding. Many attribute the preformed vitamin A it contains as the primary reason for seeing a great increase in egg viability. Also, although you might think that a thumbnail is too difficult as your first dart frog to keep, many people find species like R. imitator and R. variabilis as an easy first frog. Plus, neither of those is going to set you back to any significant degree (pretty inexpensive as far as thumbnails are concerned).

Perry

Back
Top Bottom