cleaning flexarium

niki

okay I am just kinda curious about how everyone does a total clean on their cages. I have a exo terra flexarium with a plastic tray thingy on the bottom. I have tons of fake vines and plants (not to mention the pothos). It has a buggy smell about it. Anyways I have no outside hose, so that possibility is out of the question. I suppose I got wash it in the bathtub:eek: , no worse than the frog tank I suppose. Any ideas? Comments?

I do take mine out to the hose and that does make it easier. You can wash the cover in the washing machine on gentle cycle. Or-Fill the bathtub up with some very diluted bleach solution and wash away-rinse well. In order to do a very thorough cleaning you really need to take the darn things apart-things get stuck between the plastic liner and the botom mesh and tubes-yuck! :)

you can wash the mesh in the washing machine cold water do not put in the dryer!

the soft tray youll have to clean on your own or get a new one i think they sell replacements

I live in Florida and I have a tree-like Schefflera on my screened lanai-I usually put them there while someone watches them. I use dish soap for light cleaning and diluted bleach/water solution for heavy duty cleaning. Rinse well no matter what.

how bout the vines? He poo's on them a lot:) Are u all completely sure that I can put it in the washer? I'm not doubting abyone but the little flexariums are hellishly expensive here in Nova Scotia. I will probably use sunlight Soap with the washer. Also do they shrink at all?

I'm gonna stick my little guy in a cardboard cat carrier I think. I have kitties that would love to chew on him if I let him got around the house loose.:) That way it is nice and dark and he shouldn't get too stressed out.

I'm gonna stick my little guy in a cardboard cat carrier I think. I have kitties that would love to chew on him if I let him got around the house loose.:) That way it is nice and dark and he shouldn't get too stressed out.
Howdy,

Go with zero light into the cardboard box and he should fall asleep.

Last edited:
how bout the vines? He poo's on them a lot:) Are u all completely sure that I can put it in the washer? I'm not doubting abyone but the little flexariums are hellishly expensive here in Nova Scotia. I will probably use sunlight Soap with the washer. Also do they shrink at all?
Howdy,

I'd go with a large plastic tub of some kind with laundry detergent properly diluted with water. After soaking, use whatever scrubbing action is safe enough to keep from damaging what you are cleaning. Then rinse and soak in a tub of diluted mix of bleach and water for maybe 10-30 minutes. You might try a pint of bleach in several gallons (5 gal?) of water. Bleach is pretty destructive with many materials so be careful.

I'm a bit nervous to clean anything in a washing machine or bathtub or shower that could be fecally contaminated. If you thoroughly clean your shower etc. with soap and then bleach, you might not have any issues. I guess I've looked at too many parasites under the microscope to feel comfortable with using a shower or bathtub with my critters. That's also why I use an automated misting system (20min 2x Day) instead of my shower to keep my critters fully hydrated :eek:. Anybody sense a bit of paranoia in my thoughts? :rolleyes:.

Ha ha. I am a vet assistant and I have also looked at some nasty critters under the microscope. It's scary really to think about what may be hiding in the crevices of anyones house (feeder buggies and all;) ). He he. Anyways I might just stick it all in the bathtub (rinsing with a bleach solution afterwards). Probably just use liquid sunlight with cleaning. Thanks. Oh by the way, does anyone know where to get an automatic mister online? I found one in zellers for $50 (is this a good price?). It is suppose to water 10 plants at a time. I was gonna wrap it around the cage so He could get wet all around.

Back
Top Bottom