Claws

SaltyEyes

Hey, so I have a quick question about my 1 1/2 yr old veiled chameleon. After his latest shed, I noticed he was missing a claw on his back left food. I assumed it was simply pulled out, but there was no open whole- instead it seemed to have simply skinned over. I tried soaking it in extra water to see if maybe some skin was hiding the claw, but nothing appeared. The next day, i noticed that his left hind foot was now missing two claws, in the same manner as the first one- no wounds.

I have searched everywhere for an answer to this, yet I have yet to find one. i always feed Ogre (my chameleon) crickets well dusted, so I don't know about calcium deficiency. I have had him for well over a year, and he has never had any other heath issues, nor does he have anything else wrong now. In fact, he seems happier than ever. should I be worried? any help?

What sort of screen are you using on your enclosure? Sometimes chameleons little claws get caught in holes that are a teeeeeny bit too small and simply pull out. That is what I could think of...anyone else?

the screen has wholes about a 1/4'' x 1/4'' wide. Seems a little small, but he is still relatively small too (about 7 1/2 inches minus the tail). And as I said, in the past, he has never had an issue before this past month. However, I'm not ruling it out. That's why I first checked for cuts where the claw could have pulled out. Do you think that the claws would grow back?

Mu male chami lost two on his front claw at about the same age. He still gets around just find. I always thought they might grow back, but nada....

Well as they get heavier the screen can become tougher on their nails. I'm sorry, you mean the holes are 1/4"x1/4" openings? That doesn't seem that small! I've never built my own cage and don't know what sort of screen that is. Correct me if I'm wrong people! Can you show me a photo maybe? I could definitely tell you if I saw a photo. I could swear one of my friends who was trying to teach me how to build an enclosure said 1/4 inch screen, but could be way wrong.

thanks for that info Kat. I'm still searching for any more info on this, but i have to admit, I'm getting a little frustrated. I feel like a total newbie, although i have grown up with animals all of my life. Any info would be appreciated. I will put a picture on as soon as he gets finished eating- he gets finicky if I mess around his cage during the "hunt"

Last edited:
You're just being a good chameleon mommy(I'm assuming you're a female, sorry if you aren't!). From what I know, even though it isn't GOOD for the cham, a few lost toenails wont hurt him. As long as he doesn't lose ALL of them! Maybe (even though a lot of people don't love them) you could get a Reptarium. Its possible that a screen that works for most chams wont work for all of them, and toenail loss that is caused by the cage screen wont happen in a reptarium. I use them and I think they're just fine!

http://www.bigappleherp.com/Reptarium-Cages

Back
Top Bottom