CiN (Chameleon Information Network)

Yes. Ardi Abate and Ken Kalisch kept it going for years, but it took so much effort to edit, publish, print, etc. And then internet forums sort of replaced the paper and mailing basis for it. I also think Ardi went through a major shift in her thinking about chams. The CIN's original intent was to improve the conditions of captive chams through education, research, information sharing, and a contact network. Ardi eventually felt that chams should not be kept captive, so her personal focus moved away from that type of work.

Yeah basically what carlton just said.
Theres a few of us from the Cin on this forum. Myself included in that group. Ive still got an old Cin t-shirt from way back in the day...
Were you a member? I miss getting my quaterly newsletter/mag. Those are still good info on feeding and supps.

So new and missed out on a good thing!

Really a bummer that it is gone. In my many hours of research, I have run across a few references to their articles/info and most of the info is not-available (links) and only some can be accessed if you have the proper title, etc.

@TexasPantherMan
Is there any place where some of the info can be gotten ahold of that anyone knows of? Or do we just have to find the old members and pick their brains and libraries?

Really a bummer that it is gone. In my many hours of research, I have run across a few references to their articles/info and most of the info is not-available (links) and only some can be accessed if you have the proper title, etc.

@TexasPantherMan
Is there any place where some of the info can be gotten ahold of that anyone knows of? Or do we just have to find the old members and pick their brains and libraries?

I thought someone...either the Kammers or another forum sponsor had copies of CIN journals available? Or at least some of their publications like "Thoughts for Food".

@TexasPantherMan

I wonder who holds the copyright for those publications. It seems that if we could get their permission, we could digitize the journal and make it available for everyone.

Yeah basically what carlton just said.
Theres a few of us from the Cin on this forum. Myself included in that group. Ive still got an old Cin t-shirt from way back in the day...
Were you a member? I miss getting my quaterly newsletter/mag. Those are still good info on feeding and supps.

No, I was not. I have just run into multiple references to them. Sounds like they had a lot of influence in shaping how people think about Chameleon care- if they were still around, they could be a very powerful advocacy force for Chameleons it seems.

Forums are great, don't get me wrong, but there are many examples to old fashioned groups with published newsletters.

Ardi is the copyright holder and with her stance that chameleons should not be kept it captivity it is doubtful she would want to help promote it by allowing those journals to be published online. Ken Kalisch went on to co-found the Chameleon News website which could (should) be thought of as the successor to the CiN. Yeah, we do need a new issue of it....

Ardi is the copyright holder and with her stance that chameleons should not be kept it captivity it is doubtful she would want to help promote it by allowing those journals to be published online. Ken Kalisch went on to co-found the Chameleon News website which could (should) be thought of as the successor to the CiN. Yeah, we do need a new issue of it....

You know, I started thinking about it earlier. Perhaps with the availibility and rising popularity of chameleons in captivity, perhaps its time for an official organization to form. Kind of like an "Association of Chameleon Caretakers"

The concern I have is many chameleon species are threatened or endangered. All that I have seen are protected under CITIES. If the hobby continues to spread that could put market pressure on native populations and encourage poaching (all references to CITIES protection was appendix 2 which is much much looser than appendix 1 protection). Such an organization could serve a couple of goals. One being to advocate for the protection of native chameleon populations, the other being to support the welfare of chameleons in captivity by publishing and distributing good reliable information like what the CiN did. I looked around earlier, I did not see such an organization. Does one exist?

I was just given a full spiral notebook with every single issue photocopied into it. The first thing that I did was to run the entire thing through my ScanSnap scanner at the highest resolution possible. There are tons of photos and graphs, all black and white, and since what I was given appeared to be high quality, I figured I should at least preserve everything that I can at the best settings for archival reasons.

Would love to post it, but I'm unsure about the copyright laws as well. But for now, it's digitized and triply backed up.

According to Kent's earlier post there is a copyright holder which means sharing any copies of the material could get you into hot water regardless of if you are selling it or not.

I am not a copyright lawyer but if you have any intention of publicly sharing I would consult one so at least you could be aware of any possible repercussions and weigh your decision from there.

The reality is it is stealing in the eyes of the law to share copyrighted material without an agreement from the copyright owner. I've researched this fairly extensively in the early 2000s when I was purchasing and distributing copyrighted materials online and it is very complex.

I was just given a full spiral notebook with every single issue photocopied into it. The first thing that I did was to run the entire thing through my ScanSnap scanner at the highest resolution possible. There are tons of photos and graphs, all black and white, and since what I was given appeared to be high quality, I figured I should at least preserve everything that I can at the best settings for archival reasons.

Would love to post it, but I'm unsure about the copyright laws as well. But for now, it's digitized and triply backed up.

Y'all are just going to have to come over and read it while playing with some lizards and bulldogs. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom