Chams in the shower?

Zachariah

I read on the internet that some keepers put a branch in the shower and let thier chams take a 20 minute warm shower 2 to 3 times a week. Is that safe for the chams to use untreated tap water from the shower? What if they start drinking the water as I'm sure they would? I think that my veiled would like that but I'm just worried about the chlorine in the tap water. Let me know what you guys think and if any of you do this for your chams.

hmm i havent done this, but i here about people doing it all the time. I think it also needs to deal with your location and if there is a lot of chlorine in the water. Some areas have more then others

dont put them directly in the water make it where the mist bounces off a wall or something, and not really warm they are cold blooded remember so warm to us is hot just make it like skin temp to you and should be ok. where i live the clorine seems fine have not come across any problems ever.

Chlorine dissipates very quickly in air. A water droplet probably looses all of it's chlorine in the time it takes to get to the animal.

I don't know of anyone who advocates multiple showers a week as a regular thing. That seems more like something to do with a chameleon that is not thriving.

I would make sure the chameleon is in a safe plant that gives it the option to duck under leaves if it wants.

I gathered it was something to do once a week or less for a healthy cham. More often with respiratory or dehydration problems. I only very rarely do it due to lack of time and space. And mine get straight tap water all the time in their dripper. We don't have high chlorine here though, it depends on the area. Like dclough77 said, don't put them directly under the spray of the shower, let the mist bounce off the wall toward them.

Its something I do about 1x or 2x a month. Whenever I do a total cage cleaning session. I remove the cham and put them on a large schefflerra in the shower. I have a shower head installed that has a misting option on it. So Im able to mist the plant and cham while I clean without stressing the cham out while I service his/her cage. Serves two functions, it aids in hydration and it gives me some time to clean. Hope that helps. ;)

Chlorine dissipates very quickly in air. A water droplet probably looses all of it's chlorine in the time it takes to get to the animal.

I don't know of anyone who advocates multiple showers a week as a regular thing. That seems more like something to do with a chameleon that is not thriving.

On top of that the salt glands should deal with any extra chlorine that they might ingest (will look like a white crust at the nostrils and falls off easily).

dont put them directly in the water make it where the mist bounces off a wall or something, and not really warm they are cold blooded remember so warm to us is hot just make it like skin temp to you and should be ok. where i live the clorine seems fine have not come across any problems ever.
They are cold blooded when they are cold. Their blood will warm up depending on if there is a heat source. But, right, not too hot, but not too cold. If it's hot to you it is certainly hot to them.

I would make sure the chameleon is in a safe plant that gives it the option to duck under leaves if it wants.
I didn't know it loses most of its chlorine by the time it hits the animal. Odd! Some species will only drink if you give it lots of water and make it seem like it's raining. I've heard that this is how some people get larger species to drink and stay hydrated.
hmm i havent done this, but i here about people doing it all the time. I think it also needs to deal with your location and if there is a lot of chlorine in the water. Some areas have more then others
If you are really worried about that, consider some sort of filter.

hey syn do aqualamp misters have a product with a built in heater? cause when i looked at there site or something like that i saw a picture of a water purify they built for somone. Do they make misters with heaters? I figured out its that my cham gets cold when i mist her.

I put mine in the shower but I fill up the pump sprayer and fashion it on the shower curtain rod and lock the lever down so it mists by itself. This saves a ton of water and its not shooting on your animal very hard.

Reducing water to a "droplet" and spraying it is roughly equivalent to aerating it, which is a standard way of eliminating chlorine.

One of the benefits of bouncing the water off the wall is increasing the aeration.

Some times my memory sucks but don't you have a baby? I would never put a cham under 4 or 5 months in the shower. jmo

Back
Top Bottom