Chameleon vs. Anole

I was like "Ohh they're going to hand a stand off" than I just see "Crunch" and I just go "OH GOD D:"

Yeah, I did not quite know what to think about that video.... I suppose that is technically not cannibalism.... but still.... then again it was kinda cool in a weird sorta way maybe not....

My head hurts....

arent you not supposed to feed chams things other than insects and occasionally veggies and fruits? i mean they're called insectavores for a reason right. not insectoreptivore...i dunno i dont like it when ppl feed their chams other reptiles or pinkies.

Yeah, I did not quite know what to think about that video.... I suppose that is technically not cannibalism.... but still.... then again it was kinda cool in a weird sorta way maybe not....

My head hurts....
I thought it was pretty interesting how it didn't hesitate, as if it thought it was a cricket, but I still don't know what to think of it.

arent you not supposed to feed chams things other than insects and occasionally veggies and fruits? i mean they're called insectavores for a reason right. not insectoreptivore...i dunno i dont like it when ppl feed their chams other reptiles or pinkies.

Exactly. I don't think I could do it, and even if I could emotionally handle it I still wouldn't because I don't think it'd be too good for the cham, but I don't know much heh.

Good question!

Its not something I would be inclined to do- but then again my reason would be because I like anoles and would not want to watch one get eaten. Kind of sad...

.... I suppose that is technically not cannibalism....

Only insofar as one of us eating a cow, pig, sheep, goat, or other placental mammal is not technically cannibalism ;)

Even so, cannibalism can and does occur among at least some chameleons on occasion.

Many larger species are reported to regularly eat small lizards in nature, and supposedly even small birds on occasion. Some chameleons will also take land snails (Jackson's here in Hawaii do regularly). Presumably most species feed primarily on insects because they are the most abundant animals of an appropriate size which they can catch. Other appropriately sized animals are eaten though.

Having said that, nutritional needs can easily be met with insects and the much lower mental capacity of insects relative to reptiles, birds, or mammals suggests much lower capacity for suffering. Hence, I don't and don't think I would feed lizards, birds, or pinkies to chameleons because they're likely to suffer more than insects which can accomplish the same nutritional goal.

cj

in nature if they are hungry they wont hesitate-survival mode ! but they wont eat lizards ,small birds as their main diet !

Not to mention most of these lizards are wc and carry parasites which he just gave his chameleon.

I was just going to say that, I could only imagine what parasites and diseases these wc geckos and anoles have. Probably like 9 outta 10 of them would be carrying some sort of nasty body snatcher that you would pass onto your Cham.

I am not going to watch the video as I have not watched the other of chams eating birds and others that have been posted of them eating mice. It will make me sad! I just wanted to comment that mine do on occasion eat anoles. Not because I deliberately feed them but because they are wild in my yard and they do get into my patio and my outdoor cage. I have seen my one guy eat one twice but I look away or try to save the lizard before if possible. I could never feed them to them as a feeder. So far my chameleon that I know has eaten them has not gotten any parasites :) I am sure both my chams have eaten many more that I am not aware of.

Chameleons can live with parasites and most do until they get stressed or sick and thats when the little buggers raise their heads.

We call them insectavores. ;)

Chams can and will consume anything it can overpower and swallow.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom