chameleon is very shaky

Spunky

New Member
Spunky ate a moth about 20 minutes or so ago, not the first time she's had a moth...but now she's shaking really weirdly. I'm worried about her....I'm going to try and attach a video. Please help! She's sitting on a branch holding on with her back feet and tail and her front feet are just dangling. She tries to walk up and grab on with her front feet, but it's like she can't grab anything.
 

Stanly

New Member
how big was the moth, did she have trouble getting it down? could it be the normal "leaf walk"?

sorry the only things I can think of is if she didn't get it all down (ie choking or having a hard time breathing) or pesticides ( I hope not)

I've never dealt with anything like that so take this with a grain of salt, maybe try a good long mist. if something is stuck maybe she can drink and get it down, if it's something toxic maybe water will help flush it (note I am just basing this off my own thoughts and have no expertise)
 

Spunky

New Member
it's not her normal dancy walk she does. she has eaten a few moths the same size before and never had any problems. it was relatively small, as she isn't that big herself. i'm sooo worried about her and don't have a clue what to do to help her :(
 

PrettyInInk87

New Member
:confused: Was it a wild caught moth? My first thought was if it was wild caught that it could be pesticides or just something the moth was carrying that is making your Cham sick? Just some thoughts to try and help you out.
 

Spunky

New Member
yeah it was and i feel so horrible about it now. i thought i was giving her a pleasant snack and now i'm just afraid i hurt her. i'm totally trying not to cry
 

PrettyInInk87

New Member
I'd suggest taking her to the Vet. as soon as you can and just make sure and give her lots of water in the mean time. Keep her in a smaller container to stop her from falling all the way down to the bottom of her cage, she can hurt herself. That is all I can tell you and sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck and keep us updated.
 

Spunky

New Member
yeah i gave her an extra misting and she's been drinking. she's alert and looking around. thanks for not making me feel like more of an idiot than i already do :)
 

PrettyInInk87

New Member
No problem, we all make mistakes, start from the bottom up (we were ALL beginners at some point), and all that matters is that you try your best to learn your lesson.
 

Spunky

New Member
Thanks guys for your input. Spunky seems to be doing much better this morning. I gave her plenty of water last night and at lights out, she got on her fave perch and fell asleep. All night i kept checking on her...it was like having a newborn baby all over again!:rolleyes: this morning she drank some water and isn't shaking at all. I don't know what was wrong...all i know is it scared the hell outta me!
 

PrettyInInk87

New Member
Very happy for the both of you and releived that she is doing much better... Just be sure and still keep a close eye on her for the next few days. :D
 

jessica

Avid Member
Glad to hear Spunky is doing better this morning! WC bugs can be a great source of nutrition as long as they are safe.

I can't count how many nights sleep I've lost worrying about chameleons lol
 

laurie

Retired Moderator
Glad to hear Spunky is doing better this morning! WC bugs can be a great source of nutrition as long as they are safe.

I can't count how many nights sleep I've lost worrying about chameleons lol

I do the same thing, all those many nights worrying is how I got old.:(
 
Top Bottom