Chameleon Fall

Kat77

Ok, I opened Steve's enclosure door and let him come out, and while he was crawling across the top of his cage to me, he walked across a pair of feeding tongs (that I use to take dead crix out of the cricket cage) that I had stupidly left on the edge of his enclosure and fell to the floor, hitting his side on a table on the way. I was horrified and sat down on the floor next to him, deciding it was best not to touch him and see if he recovered. Well he did, and he climbed up on my arm and then my shoulder to look into the cricket cage.

He seems alright, although he was stunned for at least a minute (I'm SURE the fall knocked the wind out of him) and he ate for me. But my question is, could he have broken some ribs from hitting the table and just not be showing it? I have had chams fall before, but NEVER that far! I nearly cried I was so worried. Should I be worried?

Edit: His cage is 48" high, so you have some idea of the fall he took!

Kat, I had something similar happen to Raul when he was younger. About a 4 ft drop onto a tile floor.

In my opinion he is fine is he is acting normal. If he doesn't show any signs of pain or loss of appetite he was not injured. You have to imagine that they fall all the time in the wild. They are designed to twist and bend and evolution has given them the ability to take a fall. Even hit branches on their way down. Some Chams will even drop / jump to the floor to explore other trees . I have seen some video of it.

The fact that the first thing on his mind was food says a lot to me. Peeking in the cricket cage :D

It is scary but he is fine. I would just keep an eye on him for anything unusual

He's probably okay.
This was an accident, but falling is a natural defensive tactic for chameleons.
They involuntarily "puff up" as they are falling and exhale on impact to reduce the effects of the fall.
They also have a specially designed ribcage that can handle this force.
Keep an eye on him ... but, my guess is that he is just fine.

-Brad

Ok, I opened Steve's enclosure door and let him come out, and while he was crawling across the top of his cage to me, he walked across a pair of feeding tongs (that I use to take dead crix out of the cricket cage) that I had stupidly left on the edge of his enclosure and fell to the floor, hitting his side on a table on the way. I was horrified and sat down on the floor next to him, deciding it was best not to touch him and see if he recovered. Well he did, and he climbed up on my arm and then my shoulder to look into the cricket cage.

He seems alright, although he was stunned for at least a minute (I'm SURE the fall knocked the wind out of him) and he ate for me. But my question is, could he have broken some ribs from hitting the table and just not be showing it? I have had chams fall before, but NEVER that far! I nearly cried I was so worried. Should I be worried?

Edit: His cage is 48" high, so you have some idea of the fall he took!

Don't blame yourself too much. It was an accident after all.
I have experienced this in the past and My cage is 50" high.
For couple of days just be conscious on how he moves. Does he look like in any pain or climb awkwardly, etc etc..

My guess he's probably fine.

Brad hit that question right on the button. I also wouldn't be too worried, unless you see visual limping or dragging of legs. They are designed to take those kind of falls if they need to escape from being prey.

Thanks everyone! I'm relieved. I guess it wasn't so much the fall, as his hitting the table with his little ribs on his way down that I was worried about, but he does seem alright. I will keep an eye on him. I would have felt so terribly guilty if something had happened to him and it was because of the stupid tongs I left there!

Thanks for the concern everyone! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom