chameleon cage stinks

dodolah

Retired Moderator
hey guys,
I would like to ask for some suggestion.
I put a plastic tub below to hold the water and I use turkey baster to suck all the water out.
But, lately, it is very easy for the tub to stink (almost smell like a week old aquarium water).
I clean the tub with antibacterial soap yesterday, and now it's already stink again (my cham seems to poop there often).
Is there some kind of safe bleach or anti bacterial solution that i can put in the tub without having the risk of accidentally killing my cham?

Last edited:
I like to use a diluted antibacterial dishwashing soap and bleach solution. In a 32oz sprayer i put in half a teaspoon of soap two teaspoons of bleach concentrate. This is my washing spray don't forget to rinse.

P.S if you add in scented dishwashing soap this should take care of your odor also try some baking soda.

how is the poop getting in there is the tray is underneath the cage?

the little baby just poop from the branch and bull's eyes! straight into the tray!
He used to poop on the leaves.. but ever since I put the tray, he just decided that he'll try pooping there.
I have seen it twice already..
I think my cham has designated that area as his toilet.

Last edited:
I like to use a diluted antibacterial dishwashing soap and bleach solution. In a 32oz sprayer i put in half a teaspoon of soap two teaspoons of bleach concentrate. This is my washing spray don't forget to rinse.

P.S if you add in scented dishwashing soap this should take care of your odor also try some baking soda.

no.. i mean something that will get rid of the smell and kill the bacterias inside without having to take the tray out from the cage.
I'm trying to keep his stress to minimal.

If i have to rinse the tray, then it kind of beat the purpose.

here's an old pic
https://www.chameleonforums.com/att...26570-veiled-chameleon-confusion-dscn1121.jpg

the only different is inside of the cage, instead of an individual tray per plant, i put all my plants in one large white tub (about 2" high X 11" wide X 18" Length).
i use a turkey baster to suck the water manually. I am thinking of getting a battery operated gravel cleaner that is used to suck water from aquariums (i think it's about 20 bucks or something)

Last edited:
Chameleon cages are not supposed to stink. Please check your plant roots if there is a rotting problem. Especially if you have a dripper that feeds in to the pot, rotting may occur.

You mentioned a plastic tub. Are the bottom of the pots in direct contact with the tub? If there was water standing for long periods of time, the soil in the pots can become saturated with water and cause rotting.

Let us know,
V

you can use a lid from one of those huge rubbermaid containers. Take the rays out of the cage...let the water run out of the cage into the tray. Poke a hole in that for drainage and put a bucket underneath.

I put baking soda in my cricket container and in my cages(wife's idea) it deff helps out, but i would agree with everyone else its not supposed to smell, somethings wrong and i start eliminating things until you find out whats causing it. good luck

Back
Top Bottom