Chameleon angry at lights or something else?

Hi guys this morning I just turned on my lights for my chameleon before I went to school and I noticed my chameleon had the most puffed up throat I've ever seen... Like his chin looked like a chainsaw. Idk why he was stressed out.... After a while he closed his eyes and then I turned off the lights for a while then turned it back on.... Was it the lights he was mad at or was it because he was sleepy??? Btw I always give him 12 hours of light and 12 hours of sleep..... This is the first time I've seen him mad when I turned on the lights. I have a repti glo 5.0 18" and a 50 watt halogen light I bought at home depot if you're wondering what my lights are...

Not to be rude but;
each time you ask a question for help on here you have to fill out that long winded form?
Not everyone is the accountant type personality.

I do like the words that Brad but at the top. Brad that is a very polite recommendation. Thank you Sir.

Not to be rude but;
each time you ask a question for help on here you have to fill out that long winded form?
Not everyone is the accountant type personality.

I do like the words that Brad but at the top. Brad that is a very polite recommendation. Thank you Sir.

Almost all health problems in reptiles can be attributed to husbandry problems. Quite honestly, they very rarely just spontaneously get ill. There is almost always something in the husbandry that can be identified as contributing to the problem. The symptoms a reptile displays are often not the true illness, just a symptom of the problem, which sometimes isn't even a health problem, just a husbandry issue that needs to be addressed.

Closed eyes may mean there's a problem with the lights, or a more serious illness. The first step in knowing if there's a real problem that needs immediate attention is ruling out the simple fix of a new light. Metabolic bone disease is a multifactorial presentation stemming from multiple husbandry aspects that all have to be present, and even one missing is bad. Lethargy and sleeping could be a systemic illness, or it could mean that the temperatures are simply too low.

We have to know about all aspects of the husbandry in every case of a problem to offer any kind of advice (it's the first thing any vet would ask too). It's certainly not to be annoying, we ask because it truly makes a difference to know these things. Just about every single time anyone posts their answers we can identify at least one (and usually more) problems with their husbandry, or at least something that could be improved. Once you post your answers once you can just link back to it in the future (assuming nothing has changed). Without knowing the background details it is anyone's guess as to what may the problem. It is absolutely necessary to know the details to be able to address the problem in the correct manner, and it helps make sure people have healthy animals in the future!

My panther is like this every morning. He's 8 months old, healthy as can be, and he has his throat puffed up every single morning when I go to turn on his lights. He just thinks he's all that.

Anyone familiar with "Ockhams razor"?

It would seem the most simple explanation here is that the animal was startled by the lights coming on and puffed up.

Back
Top Bottom