Chamaeleo Calyptratus Calcarifer?

james L

Established Member
Hello! I was wondering if there are any pure Chamaeleo Calyptratus Calcarifer any where in captivity? Are there any forum members that currently or have ever cared for them? If they ever were around, were they bred with the more common C.Calyptratus? Any info on this subspecies would be great. Pics too!

The validity of this subspecies is dubious at best, in my opinion. Captive hybridization between Ch. c. calyptratus and Ch. arabicus yield offspring that match the description and type specimens of Ch. c. calcarifer, suggesting that this subspecies may actually be a hybrid between the two species. Further, every photo I've ever seen published of a claimed specimen of this subspecies has always been a specimen of the nominate form with MBD. I personally have my doubts on the validity of this taxa.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Have you ever seen the black and white photo of the male Ch.C.Calcarifer in "Care and Breeding of Chameleons" by de Vojoli and Ferguson?

The validity of this subspecies is dubious at best, in my opinion. Captive hybridization between Ch. c. calyptratus and Ch. arabicus yield offspring that match the description and type specimens of Ch. c. calcarifer, suggesting that this subspecies may actually be a hybrid between the two species. Further, every photo I've ever seen published of a claimed specimen of this subspecies has always been a specimen of the nominate form with MBD. I personally have my doubts on the validity of this taxa.

Chris

If they were the result of hybridization and are a fertile hybrid they would be classified as a new species, right?

Thanks Chris. Have you ever seen the black and white photo of the male Ch.C.Calcarifer in "Care and Breeding of Chameleons" by de Vojoli and Ferguson?

Yeah, I had forgotten about that photo but I am familiar with it. That photo is actually from a 1984 paper by Hillenius & Gasperetti. The animal in that photograph actually does not resemble the type specimen of Ch. c. calcarifer and it is believed that the reference to that animal as Ch. c. calcarifer is incorrect.

If they were the result of hybridization and are a fertile hybrid they would be classified as a new species, right?

No, a hybrid is not a new species if it is fertile. That is an example of why the Biological Species Concept is not ideal. There are other, much better Species Concepts but the Biological Species Concept is still the one taught the most, despite its considerable flaws.

Chris

There is a good description and pictures of males and a female in the new "Chameleons of African An Atlas" book by Colin Tilbury. See what you think and Chris see if you hybrid theory still holds true. The hybrid would be with Chamaeleo chamaeleon orientalis or arabicus. Would not mind hearing Petr Necas opinion as well.

Jeremy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom