CH Trioceros deremensis

Status
Not open for further replies.

merumontanus

Avid Member
Hello all,

As many of you know, I have been raising a clutch of giant Usambara three-horn chameleons (Trioceros deremensis) for about 11 months. The eggs came from a wild-collected female and there were a total of 24 neonates at the time of hatching. Over the course of the subsequent weeks following their emergence from the eggs, I lost 5, and the remaining 19 specimens are still with me.

During their development, I encountered some difficulties with a handful of them after having discovered that the tips of their tails were turning black. Upon closer examination, it was found that they had small rings of skin around their tails, which caused constriction of blood circulation and eventual necrosis. Because the problem was determined to not be bacterial or viral in nature, the next probable cause was a metabolic imbalance (probably vitamin A) as I had been very cautious to over-supplement during their early development. After an increase in supplementation frequency, their tails healed and they are continuing to thrive.

As a result of this, I will only be offering for sale the animals that did not encounter problems and that are otherwise in perfect health. Currently, after careful consideration of those specimens I will be holding back for my own collection, those already spoken for, as well as the ones with scarred tails, I am offering 10 (5.5) of the remaining 19 animals.

I may, in the future, offer the rest of the animals at a reduced price for experienced keepers wishing to purchase them for breeding, etc, but in the meantime, here is what I am offering:

FEMALES

3579495404_b7dd55e143.jpg

3579495746_17c9937cfc.jpg

3580305849_f5eff28c11.jpg

3578695697_8d9168cf76.jpg

3579504734_40e4625802.jpg

MALES

3579494890_73b97fab64.jpg

3579505622_06723d06ea.jpg

3580308673_3862376b32.jpg

3578688043_6a17606602.jpg

3579505202_2608a0b109.jpg

As you can see, I have labeled each animal being offered for sale with a code for simple identification. Because this is not a commercial endeavor aimed at obtaining a large profit, but rather at placing them in the best possible homes, I reserve the right to refuse the sale of any of these animals to anyone, at any time.

The price for each of the 10 animals posted above is as follows:

Males: US$175.00
Females: US$200.00
Pairs: US$350.00

Shipping is not included in the aforementioned price, and will be conducted using UPS through the service "Ship Your Reptiles".

These animals are being offered to customers in the United States, only.

Please send me a private message if you are interested in purchasing any of these animals, and I will add you to the list of prospective buyers. Experienced keepers will receive priority, but don't be shy to inquire about these animals, including the request for additional information and photographs.

Lastly, you may find a few threads featuring this particular clutch by searching these forums (type "deremensis"), where you will also find videos of their feeding behavior, as well as a hatching sequence.

Kind regards,

Fabián Aguirre

Last edited:
These guys looks fantastic. CB/CH deremensis are a breeze to keep. When I was on a brief hiatus from chameleons, I was brought back into the hobby by these guys - a species I only dreamed about when I was younger! The pics in those cruddy old TFH books were great, and I always hoped they'd beavailable.

I paid a load of money for a teeny little CB baby from the Kammers, and I was so happy I did. Montane species are often thought of as being tricky and sensitive. I managed to raise up my little guy (who was not even showing a raised bit of scale where his horns would be) to a full grown adult easier than any other chameleon I've owned.

No heat lamp needed - cold nights aside - and the little guy just thrived. High humidity is a plus, but it need not be dripping. Nutritional requirements were simple: I raised him like I did hundreds of calyptratus before.

I've kept mntanes, and deremensis are the easiest to keep - breeding is another story, which is why these things are so hard to find CB/CH!

Also - anyone who gets these, please keep me in mind. I greatly desire to hear from your experience with them, as these are one of my favorite underappreciated species. Melleri were #1, but now that they've neared 'mainstream' status, I can focus some attention on these guys!

Also - anyone who gets these, please keep me in mind. I greatly desire to hear from your experience with them, as these are one of my favorite underappreciated species.

I echo your thoughts, Eric. Although obviously not required, it would be great to receive updates now and again on these guys, especially on the public forum where others can follow their progress (and hopefully eventual reproduction).

As of 2 June 2009:

3589302723_e4a4713918.jpg

Thanks!

Fabián

Chameleon Forums Discount

In an attempt to ensure that these animals stay within the community, I am offering members of the Chameleon Forums these CH deremensis at a reduced price (including those with reservations):

Males: US$150
Females: US$175
Pairs: US$300

Prices do not include shipping (see original post).

Thank you,

Fabián

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom