Ceramic Heaters

Amanda1801

Hey :)

I seriously need to think about getting my guy one of these - just wondering if anyone uses them?

I'm looking at getting a 40W ceramic heater and hooking it up to a thermostat, and somehow (give me ideas people!) using it to get some additional heat into his cage, particularly at night. I hate to think how cold my house is at night at the moment, I don't have a thermometer but its currently 1.30am and I can clearly see my breath infront of me!

Looking at it, it looks like it would attach to a normal lamp type thing, with a screw fitting? http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/rep...aters-561/exo-terra-heat-wave-lamp-26236.html

I was wondering if I could get a desk lamp type thing and aim it towards his cage (his cage is rather conveniently next to a table) roughly towards the area where he sleeps?

I think maybe a small space heater to heat the entire room would work better. the ceramic heat emitters work well but only work when the animal is in direct line for the infrared heat pattern coming from the emitter. You don't have central heat in the room he is in?

I think maybe a small space heater to heat the entire room would work better. the ceramic heat emitters work well but only work when the animal is in direct line for the infrared heat pattern coming from the emitter. You don't have central heat in the room he is in?

I hadn't thought of that! That's the perfect solution lol

I do have central heating in the room hes in, for the little benefit it gives!

I live in the basement of a victorian house that has been converted into flats. theres no insulation in the walls, single glazed windows, concrete floors, and combined with the unusually cold winter, my house is FREEZING. There is little benefit from the central heating because the heat just isnt retained. I can't wait to move! Counting down the days until my tenancy ends at 12:00 on 27th June 2011!

Oh wow! That's so funny because when I was reading your post originally I was picturing a basement setting. LOL! Yup, those get really really cold but a space heater would work well next to your humidor. That will make everything cozy for you two!

BTW: I ripped off and replaced the top screen mesh with a larger plastic one on the top of my cage that my 3.5month nosey be is in. This allowed more light through and so far I haven't caught him napping during the day anymore. I will confirm this tomorrow; so I have my fingers crossed that this will resolve his issue.

Oh wow! That's so funny because when I was reading your post originally I was picturing a basement setting. LOL! Yup, those get really really cold but a space heater would work well next to your humidor. That will make everything cozy for you two!

BTW: I ripped off and replaced the top screen mesh with a larger plastic one on the top of my cage that my 3.5month nosey be is in. This allowed more light through and so far I haven't caught him napping during the day anymore. I will confirm this tomorrow; so I have my fingers crossed that this will resolve his issue.

Great! Its worrying when they sleep in the day - it sets off the same kind of alarm bells when someone calls me at work and says their rabbit or guinea pig isnt eating!

I do! And I also study such things. Doing a bachelors in veterinary anatomy at the moment and vet medicine after that!

Yay for fellow future vets! Anyway, I use a ceramic bulb on my baby turtles because I know where they sleep and can get it close without worrying but for the chams I just got a space heater this year for their room (main heater is broken) and it works amazingly well in a very short time! I would highly recommend it. If it's still too cold you can at least place it near their cages to keep the warmth near them.

the central heat in my house sucks in my room too, so i just use a little space heater at night set on 68 right next to his cage. it keeps his cage and the whole room at about the set temp.

Back
Top Bottom