Catalpa or Catawba worms

reptimom

Avid Member
Hi - Anyone out there ever feed their chameleons Catalpa (sometimes called Catawba) worms?? I have a very large tree in my yard that usually is covered with them a couple times a year. Would love to know that I could use them for food for the gang. Here in the South they are used for fish bait.

I was wondering the same thing as I also have a Catalpa tree. Having used them for fishing in the past I would say no just because of how tough they are. You can catch several fish on a single worm. Their skin is like leather. I don't know if they are safe or poisionous if they could eat them.

I haven't been able to find anything online regarding catalpa worms.

Someone asked on a site if they are poisonous and someone responded by saying

Answer

Michael:

Ok, if you already know it is a catalpa worm, then it is NOT poisonous, OR venomous. 'Poisonous' means something is toxic if it is ingested (eaten). 'Venomous' means its bite or sting is dangerous.

Catalpa worms eat ONLY catalpa, so it won't eat if it is not on that tree. Further, it probably won't eat just 'any' catalpa. Plants defend themselves with toxic chemicals in their sap, and some individual plants and trees are more toxic than others, even within the same species, and in the same location! That is why you will see some trees almost completely defoliated, while other trees right next to them are virtually unaffected.

Sphinx moth larvae, including catalpa worms, pupate in the soil, so if you continue keeping your caterpillar, provide a terrerium with a few inches of slightly compacted soil so it can burrow down when it is time for it to graduate to the next part of its life cycle.

Eric
http://community.webtv.net/bugeric/BugEric

Source:http://en.allexperts.com/q/Entomology-Study-Bugs-665/Catalpa-Worm.htm

I know they have a similarity to Hornworms in some way.

Another article on it is
http://www.carrborocitizen.com/main/2007/06/14/flora-catalpa-country/

I would say yes if they are located in a pesticide free area.
That is just my opinion though.

good point on pesticides.
But, i am going to bring up another factor.

i wonder if all those catalpa diet in the worm's gut is good for your cham.
I would avoid feeding them to your cham.
just like you would avoid feeding wild hornworms to your cham since they might ate on tomato leaves diet which render them inedible.
Tomato plants are poisonous.

Last edited:
I also think it would be safe if they can digest them. The reason they are so popular in the south is because they are very tough and you can catch several fish on a single worm. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try and see if it comes out whole or digested. Thanks for the input. David

Right, From one of the articles i read it stated that some catalpas are mildly toxic. Catalpa worms refrain from eating such plants. That's why there are catalpa trees that are completely stripped from the leaves, and other catalpas that are untouched.

Back
Top Bottom