Can Panthers breed with Veiled?

Minihuey

Established Member
Just wondering....

Don't really care about community morals and values. For the sake of interest, I would like to know.

Maybe it would be something cool like a Liger..... :D

Just wondering....

Don't really care about community morals and values. For the sake of interest, I would like to know.

Maybe it would be something cool like a Liger..... :D

Can a dog breed with a cat? How about a turtle with a tortoise?;) No, they can't.

Quick-someone go through all the back threads and see how many times this questions has been asked! :)

Flame defense. please dont use my humour to be nasty. Your 'short-bus' refrence is offensive to me, no matter how common in popular culture.
Atleast qualify it with a big green smiley before people go nuclear ok. :)

Can a dog breed with a cat? How about a turtle with a tortoise?;) No, they can't.

Cats and dogs are completely different species, so you can't really use that as an argument, or valid point.

DONT READ PAST THIS IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A BIASED NOTION IN YOUR MIND.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ignoring all forum/community morals as the OP has suggested.

Cross breeding relies heavily on chromosome similarities (and a bunch of other factors.) So trying to breed a cat and a dog wouldn't work because they are completely different species and have completely different chromosomes that aren't compatible.

A horse and a mule on the other hand have very compatible characteristics, and thusly are able to cross breed to create a hybrid, in this case, a donkey. It is considered successful crossbreeding because the donkey gains positive attributes from BOTH parents. For those reasons it's morally accepted and been a popular practice throughout the world.

Now, a panther and a veiled. if you actually put a male and female of each together I not too certain how that would turn out or if it would be a good safe idea either (for the sake of both chams)

BUT

If you were to somehow get a professional to artificially inseminate a female panther with veiled semen, my hypotheses is that you WOULD be able to hatch something out of that egg(I haven't looked into chromosome compatibility or anything scientific, this is just a semi-educated far-fetched guess). Now you have to wonder...is the hybrid coming out of that egg safe? will it have full function of all its organs? ect. You may yield different results if you insenmenated a female vield with panther semen.

To come to a conclusion, it would take years of observations (if you managed to hatch something) and you would have to repeat the experiment several times to get conclusive results, constantly recording cause of death, life span, living conditions ect.

So bottom line.

Can it be done? ---- High possibility (my opinion)

Is it practical? ---- No. (too much time, too expensive, unfair to any offspring born defective)

Should you do it? No (again I'm not assuming you are, just my opinion)

I think you have your mules and donkeys turned around....
Male donkey (jack) x female horse (mare) = mule
Male horse (stallion) x female donkey (jenny) = hinny (rare since the foal is too large for most jennies to carry full term.)

Sorry.....didn't mean to derail the thread. Carry on.

I think you have your mules and donkeys turned around....
Male donkey (jack) x female horse (mare) = mule
Male horse (stallion) x female donkey (jenny) = hinny (rare since the foal is too large for most jennies to carry full term.)

Yah i did have it mixed up, It is slightly irrelevant to my point, but i should have double checked. Thanks for pointing that out : )

Knowledge is power!!! lol..

lol just wondering. Calm down everyone. I have not even mastered the breeding of two veiled.

Just wanted a random fact of the day.

Thank you metric for the awesome answer.

lol just wondering. Calm down everyone. I have not even mastered the breeding of two veiled.

Just wanted a random fact of the day.

Thank you metric for the awesome answer.

No problem : ). I felt so inclined to answer this question because it reminded me of the time i asked my grade 7 science teacher if I could breed an elephant and a pig (after watching that episode of south park) luckily instead of JUST laughing at me, she explained why it wouldn't work out.

i guess I'll never have my Pigaphant...or Elephig.

You might want to look up "species" before you throw it around like that. Not only are Veileds (Chamaeleo calyptratus) and Panthers (Furcifer pardalis) different species, they are different genera as well. As for your other examples:

Donkey: Equus africanus asinus
Horse: Equus ferus caballus
Same genus, different species.

Tiger: Panthera tigris
Lion: Panthera leo
Again, same genus, different species

Evolutionarily, they are far enough removed that the likelihood such a cross would be successful is minimal.

Chris

Great job chris, I was about to say the same. Not to shoot down your idea Metric, but they are different genera, so it's not possible.

Mules and all other creatures like such are not considered species. They can not reproduce. I can see how mules could be useful on a farm, but other animal crosses seem unfair to me. Just my opinion.

-Andrea

if u dim the lights and n light some candles... maybe itll work.
i've known people to breed different species of beardies.

... but they are still beardies, and most likely the same genus/species....

really? come on?

Yeah, I didn't expect my answer to be 100% accurate, and i was hoping i wouldn't get the last word.

thankfully some other more educated members tuned in : )

I just like to re-enforce my answers with a little shown thought process, rather then just saying "No ITS BAD!!"

anyhoo....ask me something about Law : P

Very interesting thread. I enjoyed reading.

Is this what we are looking for?

CROSS.jpg

Chamaeleo pardalis.

Ha ha ha .. the extent of my photoshop skills

Back
Top Bottom