Can I keep Blaptica Dubia Roaches in a cricket keeper?

Ashleigh

I have a large cricket keeper with the tubes so I don't have to touch the crickets which was working out for a while. I'm thinking of switching to roaches since Loki isn't eating the crickets at all anymore...I REALLY want to avoid touching roaches..bleh:eek: can they climb on the sides? it's clear plastic that's smooth with a lid with small ventilation holes. Oh, and do they move quickly? Just so I know what to expect:eek:

Yes they'll live in there. They are a pretty slow Roach and they can't climb the sides. Id say they're easier than crickets to keep. I just grab them with my hands and I'm not gonna lie theyre a little freaky if you let them crawl on your hand (hand feeding) but they don't jump all over lol.

A non see through container works bests because they don't like light too much. I use a good size tubberwear container

I dissagree they are pretty fast and I find they perfer a large container. I would prob only keep 20 or so in a cricket keeper and they wouldnt be much of a colony

I use a Home Depot bucket (less than 5 bucks, lid included). I cut out the center of the lid and glued mesh on there, but honestly you don't even need the lid. They cant climb that thing. I have a small cheap-o heat pad under it and a couple egg-crates in there. Roach colony set-up with food and crystals for under 10 bucks.

Now, what you pay for roaches, that will be the difference.

I have a large cricket keeper with the tubes so I don't have to touch the crickets which was working out for a while. I'm thinking of switching to roaches since Loki isn't eating the crickets at all anymore...I REALLY want to avoid touching roaches..bleh:eek: can they climb on the sides? it's clear plastic that's smooth with a lid with small ventilation holes. Oh, and do they move quickly? Just so I know what to expect:eek:

I agree! I don't like the creepy things crawling on me either... I use my leopard gecko's old tank that he outgrew (10 gallon). They don't climb but they scuttle around like the vermin they are when you try to get them. I use feeder tongs and the cup I feed Yoshi with and just scoop 'em up. They don't bother me anymore... But there is NO WAY I'm letting that thing crawl up me :eek:

Disadvantage of an aquarium is that the babies can climb up the sealant in the corners. Paint bucket is cheaper, lighter, not transparent (as stated earlier they hate the light), and they never, ever can climb out.

Disadvantage of an aquarium is that the babies can climb up the sealant in the corners. Paint bucket is cheaper, lighter, not transparent (as stated earlier they hate the light), and they never, ever can climb out.

I disagree. I've never had this trouble. I store them in a cabinet under his cage where it's dark and they're fine. You can keep them in anything if it has walls. LOL. And make sure the sides are not slanted.

I disagree. I've never had this trouble. I store them in a cabinet under his cage where it's dark and they're fine. You can keep them in anything if it has walls. LOL. And make sure the sides are not slanted.

Others have had this issue.

If you already have the tank and a dark space, it'll work. But don't go out and buy a tank when there are superior options was my point.

Back
Top Bottom