can crickets bite?

Chamster

i left about 10 crickets in my chameleons tanks but i got worried so i killed them all and took them out just to be sure nothing happens.

Just in case i leave some extra crickets in there overnight, will they hurt or bite the chameleon or are they harmless???

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Crickets have been known to nibble one smaller chams if they are left in over night in larger numbers. one or two strays won't do anything usually but if there are ten or so you may have some nibbling. Personally it has never happened to me and I leave feeders in over night sometimes. Thats only if I have to work 4am-4pm the next day though. I stopped leaving crickets in there after someone told me a horror story about a 4 month old panther getting the skin around its eye nibbled on by crickets which later developed into an infection. I just leave silkies and a few roaches now if I really have too. If the cham is an adult a few wont do much though in my opinion. People have differing views on this one, I think you'll see that.

Justin

Crickets can definitely bite and chew holes in chameleons. There is one spot on the chameleon's side that seems particularly prone to being chewed...I almost wonder if there are few or no nerve endings in that spot because the chameleon should kick the crickets off if it feels it.

One thing to do to help stop crickets from chewing on the chameleons is to put a food source in the cage for the crickets to eat. It won't always prevent it from happening, but it helps.

I put 10 crickets in morning then night comes if any remaining I take them out no need to kill them just put them back in there own cage and gut load besides when lights go out the chameleon should go to sleep shortly after and not wake up till mornning if they did happen to have a midnight snack it would probably end up being not so good for them due to at night there is no basking light wich helps digest there food

Back
Top Bottom