Can chameleons yawn?

Matt1851

i noticed a couple of times that my panther will puff up and stick out his chin and the open his mouth for about 3 seconds and then close it. then he like deflates and goes about his buisness. is this yawning or should i be concerned?

It could be a couple of things.

How hot is your basking temperature? Are you very close to him when he does this or far away? Can he see you?

I've seen my geckos yawn several times, but not either of my veileds yet.

Perhaps he is trying to 'pop' a shed. Sometimes my guys will open their mouths and inflate like there's no tomorrow while they're trying to get a shed off.

It could be a couple of things.

How hot is your basking temperature? Are you very close to him when he does this or far away? Can he see you?

I've seen my geckos yawn several times, but not either of my veileds yet.

well he is beside my bed. i always usually am just sitting on my bed with my laptop and he just chills there and iv seen him do this twice. the basking light is about 5 inches away from a vine he likes to sit on and is about 80 to 85 but i have an analog thermometer and i want to get a digital but i have given him multiple levels/areas he can bask on so if is to hop for him he can move. i mist him alot and he has a dripper so i don tthink he is dehydrated.

Perhaps he is trying to 'pop' a shed. Sometimes my guys will open their mouths and inflate like there's no tomorrow while they're trying to get a shed off.

well he just shed not to long ago. maybe about a week ago so i dont think its that. i thought that too but ya

Its a known fact chameleons puff and yawn in the morning after they wake up. If he's doing this a lot over the day. Id continue for an explanation and medical help.

about 5 inches away from a vine he likes to sit on and is about 80 to 85 but i have an analog thermometer and i want to get a digital
That could be the problem. Unless you have a digital and you are more sure about what the temperatures are, he could just be overheating.

Usually overheating results in gaping....where the chameleon contuasly has its mouth open for a period of time. Continue watching this thread for peoples opinions. Fill out the "ask for help" questionare. Thatl help us figure it out.

Its a known fact chameleons puff and yawn in the morning after they wake up. If he's doing this a lot over the day. Id continue for an explanation and medical help.
May be the fact I don't see my chameleons wake up too often because I'm usually gone when they are doing so, but I've never seen mine do that.

That could be the problem. Unless you have a digital and you are more sure about what the temperatures are, he could just be overheating.

ok well its at 86 right now i just bought a digi and raised the light just a tad. and ya he did do i tin the morning and i havent ever seen do it in the afternoon but its not continuous usually about 2 to 3 seconds.

Lily used to yawn in the mornings and I have seen Amy do it too, but as yet I haven't caught Tommy yawning. Their lights come on before I get up anyway, so I probably just miss it, lol! When yawning the mouth opens far wider than gaping. When they gape, their lips tend to splay out too and their mouth is open about half way and they will stay like that.

i have a few chams and they yawn occasionaly through the day, sometimes for shedding others i dont really know, i dont think it is a medical problem, unless its actually gaping from overheating. get a digital reading just to be on the safe side!

I think its a normal behavior from them, i have seen all mine yawn in the mornings....wake up sleepy heads...:D

now that you say its been happening in the morning....its completely normal.mine yawns every morning

i noticed a couple of times that my panther will puff up and stick out his chin and the open his mouth for about 3 seconds and then close it. then he like deflates and goes about his buisness. is this yawning or should i be concerned?

All animals yawn. Even fish. So there is no need to be concerned if you see them yawning, However if things appear very off or odd, and you have reasons to believe it is not true yawning, then i would look into it further. But to answer your question Yes.

I've only had my Chameleon for about two weeks and she yawns every morning almost! She gets a special cricket for being so cute when she does it too! :p

Back
Top Bottom