Can chameleons eat common houseflies?

nickyread2011

I live in the uk and was wondering if chams can eat common houseflies like bluebottles or daddy longlegs. i know they havent had pesticides on them because they've been loitering in my kitchen for some time now. might as well put them to some use!

I live in the uk and was wondering if chams can eat common houseflies like bluebottles or daddy longlegs. i know they havent had pesticides on them because they've been loitering in my kitchen for some time now. might as well put them to some use!

i would not feed anything wild unless you know what they've been eating, they're not poisonous, or are parasite free.

But they do love them, and a few are very unlikely to hurt. Not a staple food tho, in fact just very occasionally, just for variety/fun

Yes, they can. But houseflies carry bacteria (thus should be avoided).
Harvestmen (daddy longlegs) are usually fine, with the normal caveat about parasites etc.

You might find this blog entry useful:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/213-use-wild-caught-insects.html

Its just as easy to introduce parasites thru commercially avail feeders as it from wc ones. Unless your breeding ALL of the feeders you feed off yourself theres no way of being 100% certain your feeding parasite free feeders to your herps. Mpo.....

Back
Top Bottom