Can Chameleons eat cave crickets?

canzoman

I find some in my basement. They are big suckers. I would never feed them to mine but just asking if its possible.

I know about the pesticide risks.

Just curious...

Can you post some pictures of these guys? I have seen a couple on animal planet but to have them in your basement sounds astonishing!

I'd say that if they're completely light brown they could be safe to eat. I wouldn't try it for risks of poisening from pesticide. Ive found a few myself, they just about gave me a heart attack because at first glimpse i thought it was a spider. (I really dont like spiders) I would stay away from feeding them to your lizards.

I'd say that if they're completely light brown they could be safe to eat. I wouldn't try it for risks of poisening from pesticide. Ive found a few myself, they just about gave me a heart attack because at first glimpse i thought it was a spider. (I really dont like spiders) I would stay away from feeding them to your lizards.

Yeah they are big scary mofo's. My wife is terrified of them. But I bet my chams would love em.

Attachments

• cave_cricket_carnage.jpg
    cave_cricket_carnage.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 996
They can get to a point where they will and are able to litteraly eat their own leg off for food if they cant find another food source...

If you are afraid of pesticides just put them in a container like the link describes for a few days. Feed them a healthy diet and after 3 or 4 days I think you would be safe. If you want them from a cleaner source the breed them;) Spiders are another good snack around the house you can find in colder weather. Just know what you are feeding.

I feed them in the summer like crazy . I have a small greenhouse on the side of my house and for some reason they are always in there at night.

If you are afraid of pesticides just put them in a container like the link describes for a few days. Feed them a healthy diet and after 3 or 4 days I think you would be safe. If you want them from a cleaner source the breed them;) Spiders are another good snack around the house you can find in colder weather. Just know what you are feeding.

Good to know thanks.

god i hate those things. we used to have tons in our basement till we got a pesticide treatment. i think they would be annoying as feeders cause they can jump about a foot and a half high so you couldn't cup feed.

god i hate those things. we used to have tons in our basement till we got a pesticide treatment. i think they would be annoying as feeders cause they can jump about a foot and a half high so you couldn't cup feed.
Stick 'em in the freezer. :rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

Yeah they are big scary mofo's. My wife is terrified of them. But I bet my chams would love em.

Dang straight they are!!!! I say, if youre brave enough to pick it up, feed the little bastard off to chameleon jaws of doom. But seriously, that is one scary ass cricket.

rip one of the hind legs off

personally i would probably freak because they look too much like spiders

Hello
If I found them I would put them in this little 5gal tank i use just for gutloading wild caught insects, prob light mist in aquarim. Then i would feed. Would love to find some of those monsters! :) Have fun!:)

I believe you are talking about camel crickets which would be fine provided they are pesticide free and their gut has been cleaned out (few days on a recommended diet)
Be careful as these are cannibalistic and may have eaten a deceased friend that was poisoned.
When I was growing up we had an infestation of them in a house we had with a crawl space .... they would come out at night and my Dad would spray as many as he could then leave a plate full of poisoned casualties out for the rest. In the morning the plate would be empty.

To answer your question,
Only cave chameleons can eat cave crickets.:cool:

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom