Calling all Biologists -- I have some questions!

mirrinias

Hopefully this is the right place for this.

I am a recent graduate with a bachelor's degree in biology, and I wanted to do a sort of interview with any biologists on this board with a master's, Phd, or in progress on either. I am especially interested in those of you studying ecology, conservation, and evolution, although some of the questions are general so any type of biologist could answer them. Anyway, here goes.

From where did you get your degree?

What do you do for a career now?

Where has your biological research taken you in the world?

Any tips on successfully applying for graduate school?

What do you focus your research on? (for example, vertebrates, marine vertebrates/invertebrates, reptiles, birds, etc.)

Does anyone here study chameleons, and if so, do you have any good peer-reviewed articles on their ecology and sensory systems? (any species). I have lost access to my undergraduate universities' electronic resources or I would look it up myself. (They don't allow alumni to access it without paying. :mad:) I suspect many aspects of wild chameleons' ecology are unknown, and this may be a topic I will pursue in graduate school.

Thanks to all who answer even part of my questions!

From where did you get your degree?
B.S. in Biology at the University of Albany

What do you do for a career now?
Graduate student at the University of Maryland in Biochemistry

Where has your biological research taken you in the world?
No publications yet, but a successful first year in grad. school and I have joined a fantastic lab!

Any tips on successfully applying for graduate school?
Write a good essay. Be honest and when it comes to interviews show your passion and love for research.

What do you focus your research on? (for example, vertebrates, marine vertebrates/invertebrates, reptiles, birds, etc.)
RNA: protein interactions in Bacillus subtilis

Does anyone here study chameleons, and if so, do you have any good peer-reviewed articles on their ecology and sensory systems? (any species). I have lost access to my undergraduate universities' electronic resources or I would look it up myself. (They don't allow alumni to access it without paying. ) I suspect many aspects of wild chameleons' ecology are unknown, and this may be a topic I will pursue in graduate school.

I originally wanted to stay in biology (specifically cancer research; what I had been doing for two years in undergrad), but I realized that a degree in biochemistry would make me more versatile for future postdocs.

Good luck with applications!

Last edited:
Thank you for answering! I will take care to write a great essay. Showing passion in interviews should not be a problem; I LOVE research!

Back
Top Bottom