Cactus as Gutload?

cactus pad & prickly pear are excellent choices for gutload choices

they are high in calcium and have a Ca:p ratio of 2.3:1

Oxalic acid

Opuntias and the common "tuna" used for nopales are very high in oxalilates and oxalic acid. They should not be used as a steady diet for animals or feeders, or as a sole gut-load.

um....so, what's the recommendation?

Is catus an "Optunias"? how would anyone know that? I have no idea what "the common "tuna" used for nopales" means...

Why respond to a simple question with scientific goblydook? oh, wait...I can think of a reason...maybe you can provide one that doesn't make you look at bad as the one I thought of.

Though you didnt comprehend it, you received your answer. Im sure no one intended to make it sound like gobbly-gook.

Opuntia phaeacantha is what Prickly pears, a type of cactus, are really called. The fruits are often called tunas. Prickly pear are indeed higher in calcium than phosphorous, however they are also high in Oxlic Acid, making the calcium less bioavaiable. Use very YOUNG pads, for the best gutload properties, and dont use it all the time. Do not use the purple colour tunas at all.

Last edited:
Not as a *staple* gutload

To the OP: while I do not think the levels of oxalates I saw for _Opuntia_ pads were super high, they did indicate that it would not be wise to use as a *staple*. The same could be said for spinach, beet greens, chard, and a number of other plants.

To JamesL: Aloe vera has saponens and other bitter compounds that might make them un-palatable to feeders. I know its generally recognized as safe for humans.

To Eliza: I will try not to be at all scientific when responding to any of your threads.

Cactus is a very large group of plants. They are variable. One kind is eaten by people as a vegetable. Other kinds produce a fruit that is eaten by people. To be clear that I was speaking about those I used their Latin and common names.

To Eliza: I will try not to be at all scientific when responding to any of your threads.

Cactus is a very large group of plants. They are variable. One kind is eaten by people as a vegetable. Other kinds produce a fruit that is eaten by people. To be clear that I was speaking about those I used their Latin and common names.

Thank you.

When communicating with someone who's "science level" you don't know it might be good to either use the level of terminology the questioner used, or to explain scientific terms that you feel need to be in the answer.

Back
Top Bottom