C. Cristatus egg laying problem

aibo54882008

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - C. Cristatus, female, 1.5year . 1 month keeping
* Handling - once a week or less
* Feeding - crickets ,butterflies ,dragon flies, 6 crickets every other day 1dragonfly and butterfly in between.
* Supplements - Rep cal Ca and multivit
* Watering - 2times a day 1 liter everytime drinking everyday
* Fecal Description - green to soft brown .No parasite. examened while exported
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - 2*2*3 Screen with 20CM soil in the bottom
* Lighting - natural sunlight whit 50% shedding
* Temperature - 28 -22
* Humidity - 40-60%
* Plants - with real plants inside (vine)
* Placement -
* Location - garden

Current Problem - shes pregnant when i got it 4 weeks ago. this week her eyes are closed more and more often (even daytimes).she also started gaping this week with her eyes closed(with no sound).Not eating in the past 6 days(a little bit dehydration).she ate 5 crickets this morning and pooped an egg wihout shell and lots of Mucosal(approx 5ML). that egg contains trivial tissues(like Trachea,).I dont know wat to do to help her. Anybody having problem like this before ?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - C. Cristatus, female, 1.5year . 1 month keeping
* Handling - once a week or less
* Feeding - crickets ,butterflies ,dragon flies, 6 crickets every other day 1dragonfly and butterfly in between.
* Supplements - Rep cal Ca and multivit
* Watering - 2times a day 1 liter everytime drinking everyday
* Fecal Description - green to soft brown .No parasite. examened while exported
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - 2*2*3 Screen with 20CM soil in the bottom
* Lighting - natural sunlight whit 50% shedding
* Temperature - 28 -22
* Humidity - 40-60%
* Plants - with real plants inside (vine)
* Placement -
* Location - garden

Current Problem - shes pregnant when i got it 4 weeks ago. this week her eyes are closed more and more often (even daytimes).she also started gaping this week with her eyes closed(with no sound).Not eating in the past 6 days(a little bit dehydration).she ate 5 crickets this morning and pooped an egg wihout shell and lots of Mucosal(approx 5ML). that egg contains trivial tissues(like Trachea,).I dont know wat to do to help her. Anybody having problem like this before ?

Sounds like she could possibley be egg bound, or something more serious. How gravid is she, can we see a pic?

Does she have a suitable place to dig to lay the eggs in her cage?

It doesn't sound good that she is gaping and has her eyes closed. Can you take her to a vet?

I'm sorry I can't give you more advice...hopefully Trace will see your post, or you could email her.

I gave her 20cm soil at the bottom of the cage.I took her to the vet yesterday.the vet told me that i have two options
1 Give her Oxytocin right away and see if she could get the eggs out
2 do nothing and see what will happen
he told me to decide on my own.
the dehydration situation is getting worse, what can i do to help her?
IMAG0365-1.jpg

IMAG0364-1.jpg

IMAG0362-1.jpg

I took her back for the vet.No cage picture currently.
her grip is still powerful ,but she usually just seems tired

As I said...it bothers me that she is gaping and has her eyes closed. It also bothers me that her eyes look like that. I can't tell you what to do...only some of the options....if you do nothing she might lay the eggs but if she doesn't lay them soon I would say you will lose her. She might not lay the eggs at all and in that case from the way she is you might lose her unless you act before she's too far gone to have her spayed. If you give her the oxytocin and she does go into "labor" and there is a problem (eggs too large, reproductive deformities, fused eggs, etc.) then it won't be good. If the oxytocin is given and its not too late, then hopefully she would lay the eggs. Sorry I can't be more help.

As I said...it bothers me that she is gaping and has her eyes closed. It also bothers me that her eyes look like that. I can't tell you what to do...only some of the options....if you do nothing she might lay the eggs but if she doesn't lay them soon I would say you will lose her. She might not lay the eggs at all and in that case from the way she is you might lose her unless you act before she's too far gone to have her spayed. If you give her the oxytocin and she does go into "labor" and there is a problem (eggs too large, reproductive deformities, fused eggs, etc.) then it won't be good. If the oxytocin is given and its not too late, then hopefully she would lay the eggs. Sorry I can't be more help.

Is there anyway that i could do to reduce her dehydration ?
shes not drinking on her own since she closed her eyes almost 16hrs a day.

You can use an eyedropper or needleless syringe to give her water...try dripping it on the tip of her nose to see if she will drink it on her own. If not, you can give it to her in her mouth, but just ease it in a little at a time so it doesn't end up aspirated.

Unfortunately wild caught Trioceros cristatus have an abysmal survival rate in captivity. I think the only choice at this point is to give her the oxytocin if you want her to survive.

Now, considering the time of year, the round casque shape, the obvious round body shape and the thinner tail base (although it's hard to tell from the few pictures) indicate a gravid female but the colour, red interstitial grooves and the serrated fin shape all indicate male. Female cristatus, even gravid, are green not red. Obviously she has been X-Rayed to confirm eggs or is that just the assumption? Perhaps what was pooped out was not an unshelled egg?

Unfortunately wild caught Trioceros cristatus have an abysmal survival rate in captivity. I think the only choice at this point is to give her the oxytocin if you want her to survive.

Now, considering the time of year, the round casque shape, the obvious round body shape and the thinner tail base (although it's hard to tell from the few pictures) indicate a gravid female but the colour, red interstitial grooves and the serrated fin shape all indicate male. Female cristatus, even gravid, are green not red. Obviously she has been X-Rayed to confirm eggs or is that just the assumption? Perhaps what was pooped out was not an unshelled egg?

She was x-rayed to confirm female. i took a bad picture. from the other side,i can clearly see the shape of several eggs(at least 7 confirmed). she is green when the light is off. I lost that "egg",but i can make sure that is not poop. i think there are trivial tissues and organs. I gave her 10Ml of water today,but the dehydration situation is not getting better. If i give her oxytocin now,will she lose more water?cause when she excreted that "thing" she also excreted lots of liquid with it .Much more than normal poop.
Thx

Hi there,
When my female Cristatus was gravid she went the exact same colour as your girl, she was worrying me a lot as she seemed very unsettled trying to find a place to lay at least a week i think. In the end i totally covered over the front of her viv & she finally laid in a plant pot with very little space around the plants roots i used a mix of moist cocofibre & sand.
So hope she is ok for you!
Heatherxxx

She has to lay those eggs. She's already pushing them out if that one you saw was indeed an egg. I'm not in favor of oxytocin but that's a choice we all have to make. For hydration, you can provide pedialyte through a dropper and just give her the amount she wants. Not too fast either.

Good luck with her. She's a big girl.

She has to lay those eggs. She's already pushing them out if that one you saw was indeed an egg. I'm not in favor of oxytocin but that's a choice we all have to make. For hydration, you can provide pedialyte through a dropper and just give her the amount she wants. Not too fast either.

Good luck with her. She's a big girl.
pedialyte, how much should i give her ? it contains mineral, i dont know how much she could take.
Thx

I would dilute it with some water, about 50/50 and just give her as much as she wants. I've had good results with this when rehydrating rehabs. It isn't a cure, just helps get electrolytes in her as well as fluids.

Sorry I don't respond very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom