Butterworms - good or bad?

sandrachameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I am very interested in everyone's opinion on the use of butterworms as a feeder option for chameleons.

When I first heard about butterworms, while on a quest to increase the variety in my chameleon's diet, I was told I "couldnt do better" than butterworms, the "best choice available", "naturally high in calcium" blah blah blah. But later, I read that they are high in fat and I should avoid them like waxworms.

I've searched around for reliable nutritional data, and found less info than I would have liked. But it seems that butterworms are no higher in fat than superworms (zophoba), may be less fatty than superworms, and are indeed naturally higher in calcium than many common feeders used. The downside, as I see it, is that you cant gutload butterworms. That said, I have insufficient data and no nutritional analysis knowledge/eductaion from which to draw a true conclusion.

A couple different websites say butterworms are ~16%Protein, 5%fat, and 59% water (presumbably the rest is mostly fibre?).

Same websites says superworms are ~17%Protein, 17%fat!, 6%fibre, 60%water.

Brad's post in the feeder Db area more or less confirms the above superworm data as: 19.3% protein, 17.6% fat, 58.7% moisture, 1.0% ash, 3.4% other.
but there's no mention of butterworm data.

Im am very interested to hear what others think about the value (or lack of value) in offering butterworms. Including how often and how many you offer to your chameleons.

I'm a big believer in offering a variety of prey to my chameleons, for the sake of interests if nothing else. All my chameleons like butterworms. But they dont make up a large portion of my chameleon's diet at present. I offer them fairly regularily to my chameleons in small quantity; it probably averages out to about 3 a month each.

with thanks for your feedback
Sandra

Butter worms are great and i feed them to my chameleons once in a while.
imo, Super worms are high in fat as well.
None of my chameleon so far loves super worms.

I fed my sick chameleon or under weigh cham with butter worms.
Only thing i hate, the worms are quite weak in gripping the vine and strangely love to hang upside down hiding on the vine.
So, sometimes my chameleon won't notice the worms.

I do not know about butters. I was told By Chris to only allow Leo a couple supers every other day as they are Very fatty.

I just saw an ad for these and am thinking about picking some up.. they say they are fruity smelling so maybe that will entice the almighty Leo.

I buy a packet of Butters twice a month. So each of my boys get about 10 worms a month give or take. I have a problem keeping them all alive, though. I always end up losing 1/4 of them before I can feed them off.

I got a 25 pak from Mulberry Farms last week and the chams seam to really enjoy these. My female vieled staired at it for a while before eatting it, as it didnt move much at first. She then gobbled it right up, same as my male panther. I gave them another 2 days later and they certianly remembered what it was as they ran to the front of the cage to get thier treats.:D Infact I like to place worms on branches and let them "stalk" the worms, yet my male panther(4.5 m) grabed it right out of my fingers before I could even put it down!:rolleyes: They resemble peach and red catapilliars, and are easy to keep, just refrigerate.:)

I buy a packet of Butters twice a month. So each of my boys get about 10 worms a month give or take. I have a problem keeping them all alive, though. I always end up losing 1/4 of them before I can feed them off.

I've kept them in the veggie drawer of my fridge for several weeks without loss, and have heard you can store them for months.

Butterworms are a great!

But with the weather turning so lovely, you might want to have a go at breeding your own phoenix worms (soldier fly larvae).

http://www.windward.org/notes/notes66/walt66-7.htm

This one is a little strange to navigate, just click on each section on the left hand bar:

http://www.esrla.com/brazil/frame.htm

I'm planning to do it the first time this year, plus composting is awesome for everything. Adding egg shells will help with their calcium content as well.

Mhm, butterworms are indeed great:) I use them for all of my reptiles when it gets really cold, or if they need it to fatten up-like my sick little beardie:( Its a nice treat too:)

butters... mmmmmmmm

I have butters in my fridge... My guys don't always go for them when I offer them up. My adult vieleds like to snack on them sometimes. I also keep supers.. I tried feeding them in cups to my guys and they had no interest. I was thinking about Dave Weldon's photo where his panther is shooting at a super worm... So I tried offering them the way he did in that photo, on the side of the cage. BAM! everyone wanted supers! I only offer maybe one or two depending. I hope they are low in fat and can be offered more often. I think it needs to be remembered that there is a lot of chiten in supers... so.... Constipation could be an issue? I feed supers with silks. I hope that brings some balance to the movement of... stuff.

BTW people do cook up butters as treats. I hear they taste like creamy butter. :eek:

I have been using butters on and off for a couple of years, some of my chams have a hard time digesting them. I would sometimes find them almost intact in fecal of some of my veileds and panthers. I have also found that my leo. geckos had a hard time digesting them too.

I have been using butters on and off for a couple of years, some of my chams have a hard time digesting them. I would sometimes find them almost intact in fecal of some of my veileds and panthers. I have also found that my leo. geckos had a hard time digesting them too.

if you poke a single hole in them, that will help. Luckily my chameleons all "chew" their food before swallowing

Back
Top Bottom