Butter was VERY sick !!!

Scooter

"Dipped in Butter" is my male veiled. I've had him since July, and he was only a couple inches long head to tail when I got him....he has been the picture of health, until Thursday...

Thursday morning I went downstairs to turn on his lights and do get him fed, sprayed, and his drip set up; and he is on the bottom of the cage, with a mouth ful of dirt, and his tounge hanging out. I picked him up, and took him to the sink, and tried to clean him up, and as gently as I could wash his mouth out. I was able to do that pretty well, but was really worried about him. I put out his silkies and some greens in his bowl, sprayed and put his drip on. I came home and altho he had not eaten he was perched on his favorite branch, with normal coloration.

Friday was worse. He was dark, and lying on the floor of his cage, and had seemed to shrink overnight. I spoon fed him some sports drink and made sure the temp was up in the cage a bit. (basking at 90 instead of 85 but the bottom of the cage and one corner was as low as 70) I came home at lunch and gave him more sports drink, and tried to stick a silkie in his mouth, which he spit out. But he let me dribble water from the hand sprayer into his open mouth from the side of his cage (silly lizard). Still had dripper and sprayed plants as usual.

Saturday, I was determined not to let him die. I continued dripping water in his mouth every couple hours, and at noon I picked him up, he got mad, and I stuck a good sized silkie in his mouth. He gave me the stink eye, but chomped it down. About 5 hours later, I did it again.

Today, I'm still force feeding water and just got him to open wide, and gave him a big silkie which he seemed eager to eat.

So, I think I have him past what ever crisis... but what do you think is wrong with his tounge ? I havent seen him try to zap anything. Could he have injured it ? Any suggestions for further rehabilitation ? How long should I keep on force feeding him ?

I know you like pictures, but I am not a computer person, and I have tired, but can't figure it out --

He is in a 36x36x48 screen enclousure, schifflera and ficus and pathos in cage, bio-vine and organic cherry tree branches, grape vine. 5.0 uvb 18", reptoglo ( darned store out of reptisun, but one on order) a 250watt basking lamp on a reiostat for temp control and a ceramic heat lamp also on reostat for temp control at night. (60 at night, basking as stated above).

He refuses to eat crix anymore. Only silkies. He is a cow and loves his salads, or did before this. I served his silkies on a bed of dark spring greens, with occasional slivers of carrots, apples, grapes, strawberries..... and sprinkled two to three times weekly with miner all 1 and a full multi vit once in two weeks.

Anything you can think of to help me would be appreciated.

I used an organic potting soil from wal-mart as was suggested on this site. It has not been changed since he has been with me.

Back
Top Bottom